Illinois...

Proud Mama today.... DD's class had to make shoe box dioramas this week. Each student was assigned a scene from the Bible. She got the nativity. She didn't want to re-do TP tubes (that's so last year!) or the well over-done Lego people. She decided on egg people. I taught her how to blow the eggs & helped with the hot glue gun. I think this will be saved for a 4H project entry & also used as a Christmas display. Of course, that's if the eggs make it. Our dog has earned the nickname: "the dog who ate Christmas," due to the numerous ornaments, baked goods, & handmade gifts that he has devoured over the years. He is obsessed with eggs. The Nativity scene is already packed in the backseat to keep it safe until morning. Baby Jesus is a tiny pullet egg. A few downy feathers were used for misc hair. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] The animals were made from egg cartons..... She just had to include a hen. LOL These two are my favs.
Great project. Love the use of the eggs for the people. Hopefully the dog won't get a hold of it.

it seems that garlic, pumpkin seeds, and squash seeds will evict/prevent most if not all types of worms, and garlic also helps with lice and mites. i have other measures for mite and lice in place like a wood ash dust bath with delouser mixed in. so far no issues and they love the feed and seem to like when the garlic comes out of the water jug when it empties. any thoughts or tips...?? ty
smile.png
Hi rikd!
It sounds like you're taking great care of your chickens. I guess the only thing that I would point out is that if your chicken has worms you may not notice unless their immune system is compromised, then it can become very serious and too late to treat. I don't believe these foods will cure worms, but it is healthy for them to eat so no harm!
After my positive experience with deworming I have decided to have a regular worming schedule with my chickens. I will worm again in December with Valbazen.
Let us know what kind of chickens you have (& I love pictures!)

Thanks for the compliments.

Blowing eggs is not that hard but definitely takes longer than simply cracking one open for breakfast.

Easy way (if ends will be covered & holes not seen)
Wash egg shell
use a small nail to put a hole into shell on both sides
Take a cake tester (or long piece of wire) to break up yolk & also help make holes wider. *If you miss this step then the force required to blow out the yolk may pop the egg instead.
Wider holes make the process faster.
Seal your mouth around one end & blow. (You can use wire in the opposite hole to make the egg slide out faster.)
When empty, fill egg with soapy water & repeat until you fell the egg is clean.

Harder but prettier method:
Wash egg & use the nail on only one end of the egg.
Break up yolk with cake tester
Insert the end of a syringe into the hole & push air into the egg. This increases the pressure inside & the contents will squirt out. Keep repeating until egg is empty, then repeat to wash out the eggshell.
I only use this method if my craft's purpose is to show off the egg or if the person I'm teaching is grossed out by mouthing an egg. Using a syringe takes longer. In most cases a bead, button, or ribbon can be used to hide the 2 holes.

To not waste the egg, I usually give the contents to my lucky dogs.

Hi rikd!
It sounds like you're taking great care of your chickens. I guess the only thing that I would point out is that if your chicken has worms you may not notice unless their immune system is compromised, then it can become very serious and too late to treat. I don't believe these foods will cure worms, but it is healthy for them to eat so no harm!
After my positive experience with deworming I have decided to have a regular worming schedule with my chickens. I will worm again in December with Valbazen.
Let us know what kind of chickens you have

all bantam breeds, 1 barred rock, 2 white rock, 2 white phoenix, one brown cochin and one motteld cochin, cochins are 3 months rocks are 7 months and pheonixes are 2 yrs. only my cochins and barred rock are "friendly" rest don't really care to be around me. have them all pened togther in a 75sq foot pen with attacted coop

from what i read garlic pumpkin seeds and squash seeds will change the PH balance in the stomachs and that makes it an unlikable environment for worms and that the garlic gets in there blood and skin (same with humans i knw is true) and wards of fleas, ticks, lice, mites and mosquitoes... got this info from multiple sources one of which was on this web page just hoping if anyone knows 100% if it works or does... ty all
1f600.png

from what i read garlic pumpkin seeds and squash seeds will change the PH balance in the stomachs and that makes it an unlikable environment for worms and that the garlic gets in there blood and skin (same with humans i knw is true) and wards of fleas, ticks, lice, mites and mosquitoes... got this info from multiple sources one of which was on this web page just hoping if anyone knows 100% if it works or does... ty all
1f600.png
For 3 years, I did many of those things (garlic 1x every month, raw ACV in water 1x per week, many cucumbers & zucc in summer, & whole pumpkins every fall) but mine got worms. I never noticed any issues until my favorite hen, Cuddles, got sick. Not sure what the illness was but because she was inside the house, I noticed 1 tiny worm in her watery (just not right) poop. I treated all chickens for worms. Cuddles was very ill & stopped eating & drinking. It was so severe, I had to tube feed her for a few days. Although she never had any blood in stools, I treated her for Cocci as well. (We had a very wet spring & summer)

I was never able to figure out what she had (other than worms), but I am very grateful she made it through. After going through all this, I think those natural methods may keep worms from overproducing, but in my opinion, they will not kill the worms. I still think these things are still very beneficial to the digestive tract even if they don't kill all the worms. I also give probiotics when I think they may need a boost.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I'm not a vet. Perhaps I didn't give pumpkin year round or should have always had ACV in the water. Not sure. In the end, I just want healthy hens, so I plan to use de-wormers in the future. Note: The worst part of de-worming was not eating their eggs for 3 weeks. Now they're molting so production is way down. UGH!!!!

Back
Top Bottom