Illinois...

Here's my son's baby. She's a little too much chicken for him to handle, but boy do they love each other.

When I look at this picture, I see DAVID & GOLIATH....... But David put away his slingshot and spared Goliath for ever.
hugs.gif

When I look at this picture, I see DAVID & GOLIATH....... But David put away his slingshot and spared Goliath for ever.
hugs.gif
We laugh as we see our little guy carrying HIS chicken around. He used to pick Cuddles up in the same way when he was 3. (She's MY chicken, though.) Now at age 5, he decided he wanted his own chicken. Not sure why he decided this & why he picked this particular chick, but she's HIS.

yippiechickie.gif
Got a new layer today!!!!

A small, round, pinkish-brown egg! It's either from my Dominique or Sweetie (a lav orp/sussex mix) Both have red combs & should be laying.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming tomorrow is the day Grandpa is being taken and he hasn't been told that he's going to the facility. God help us get through tomorrow.

@Faraday40 We have an EE named Pebbles that gives me hugs all the time. She's such a sweetheart.

This was posted on Chicken Vet Corner on FB. Thought I would share, helpful info. Laura is the poultry Vet that answers and posts info.

Laura Chamberlain Pylman edited a doc.

August 1

Common Egg Withdrawal Times in the US
Approved Products for Laying Hens
  • Amprolium (Corid) - No egg withdrawal when used at labeled dose
  • Permethrin (Permectrin II, ProZap, etc) - No egg withdrawal when used according to label directions
  • Spinosaid (Elector PSP) - No egg withdrawal when used according to label directions
  • Hygromycin B (as a feed additive at labeled dose) -No egg withdrawal
  • Nys...tatin (as a feed additive at 100g/ton) -No egg withdrawal
Not Approved (can only be used by veterinary prescription even when availabe OTC, consult your veterinarian for withdrawal times appropriate to your specific situation)
  • Ivermectin (any dose) -8 week withdrawal
  • Piperazine (Wazine) (label dose) -17day withdrawal
  • Oxytetracycline in water (800mg label dose) -14days for personal consumption, 8 weeks for sold eggs or known sensitivities
  • Tetracycline in water (Duramycin 10) (label dose) -14 days, 8 weeks for sold eggs or known sensitivities
  • Sulfamethazine (Sulmet) (full label dose) -21 days
  • Sulfadimethoxine (Albon) (label dose) -21 days
  • Tylosin injectable (Tylan) -8 weeks due to lack of studies
  • Tylosin orally -14 days at treatment dose (no withdrawal at approved feed additive dose)
  • Levamisole (Prohibit) -21days
  • Albendazole (Valbazen) -14days
  • Fenbendazole (Safe Guard) (10mg/kg x3 days) -17days
  • Pyrantel -8weeks due to lack of any studies showing elimination times in eggs
Not Allowed
  • All pesticides not specifically labeled. Pesticides are not allowed to be used extra label
  • Fipronil (Frontline) -lifetime withdrawal per FARAD
  • Carbaryl (Sevin) -lifetime withdrawal per FARAD
STRICTLY PROHIBITED -ILLEGAL TO USE lifetime withdrawal
  • Fluoroquinolones (Baytril, Cipro, etc)
  • Metronidazole (Flagyl) and other drugs in this family (Nitroimidazoles)
  • Chloramphenicol
  • Clenbuterol (ventipulmin)
  • Diethylsilbesterol (DES)
  • Glycopeptides (vancomycin,etc)
  • Nitrofurans (Furazone, etc)
  • Cephalosporins (excede, naxcel, etc)
  • Antivirals

Is it common for a hen to go go broody this late in the year? I went out to the coop to shut it for the night and colect the rest of my eggs and I see one of my hens flattened out on the eggs in the nesting box. I didn't mess with her because she is kind of skittish and I didn't want her to jump off the eggs. Any thoughts on this?

Is it common for a hen to go go broody this late in the year? I went out to the coop to shut it for the night and colect the rest of my eggs and I see one of my hens flattened out on the eggs in the nesting box. I didn't mess with her because she is kind of skittish and I didn't want her to jump off the eggs. Any thoughts on this?

I don't think its common, but I have heard of hen going broody during the colder months. And since the weather has been so mild, I am sure its messing with the chickens. I would just be worried if she is setting and losing weight like they normally do, then for the temps to drop, she might not be able to stay warm enough. Maybe someone else has some experience with this and could answer.

Hens can go broody during the winter & even hatch out chicks. The weather just makes it more difficult. Last year Cookie went broody in Nov & again in mid January. Both times I was able to break her. (The cold temps helped me convince her about the bad timing.) When she went broody in March, June, & Sept, I could not stop her. These days, she sometimes takes a long time after laying an egg. She may be thinking about it, but I keep removing her after about 1/2 a day.

Whether you want her to continue broodiness may depend on where you live. In N. IL, we tend to get many January days & nights below zero. If I had young chicks during one of those severe arctic blasts, I might have to bring the broody & chicks inside. (This would not make DH happy, so I avoid it.) If the weather by you is more mild, like 32'F, then perhaps it's not so bad. When Cookie went broody in March, we had some nights when her water froze. She & her eggs were just fine.

Must be the warm weather maybe she thinks it's spring

I think the warm weather is messing with your hen. She must think spring is here! If you have the ability to keep her and her chicks warm if temps drop, and you want more chickens, it wouldn't hurt to let her hatch some.
I have a broody breed, Icelandics, and it is not uncommon for mine to go broody in February but haven't had one go broody in December. I think it is length of day that triggers mine. I try to break any that go broody before mid-March because I, like @Faraday40 , don't want to anger the DH by having house guests when the temperature drops.....which can still be a problem hatching in early to mid-April but then I'm more likely to risk it.

Back
Top Bottom