Illinois...

Quick ? for those who may know:
My Princess (a high production hen) had a bad molt, grew back her feathers, then started laying.Nov 29-Dec 15. She now seems to be taking a break. No eggs for exactly 1 week! (Normally gives 6 eggs per week; it was 7 in her prime.) Any ideas why? Is there something I should be looking for?

Were there any stressers? Did something change in her enviroment? Hopefully something simple is going on. I would check egg bound, first though.

Quick ? for those who may know:
My Princess (a high production hen) had a bad molt, grew back her feathers, then started laying.Nov 29-Dec 15. She now seems to be taking a break. No eggs for exactly 1 week! (Normally gives 6 eggs per week; it was 7 in her prime.) Any ideas why? Is there something I should be looking for?
Hen-o-Pause? (hehehe) Sorry I had to.

I felt her abdomen & I think there might be an egg, but it's not all the way back near the vent. She feels firm not squishy. She didn't want to be examined & did some high energy running & jumping before I got her. Because of that, am I right to think that she's not egg bound? She does not have an awkward gait. If it were summer, I'd give her a nice soak anyway, but I don't want a house chicken for Christmas.

The vent is clean, comb is red, weight, appetite & energy seem good. Feet are muddy but no bumbles. The only thing I found is a small nick on the back of her leg. I put some Vetericyn on it & let Princess go back to the flock. Let me know if I might have missed something.

I felt her abdomen & I think there might be an egg, but it's not all the way back near the vent. She feels firm not squishy. She didn't want to be examined & did some high energy running & jumping before I got her. Because of that, am I right to think that she's not egg bound? She does not have an awkward gait. If it were summer, I'd give her a nice soak anyway, but I don't want a house chicken for Christmas.

The vent is clean, comb is red, weight, appetite & energy seem good. Feet are muddy but no bumbles. The only thing I found is a small nick on the back of her leg. I put some Vetericyn on it & let Princess go back to the flock. Let me know if I might have missed something.

Well then maybe she is just taking a break again. My leghorn finally laid today after about a week break. So maybe that's all it is. Just wanted to add, my chickens loved being blow dried after their bath. My family thought I was nuts, but they seemed to enjoy it! LOL

I use the deep litter method in our coop. It turned on me last time it got all wet outside.

I got it turned around and the weather was nicely cooling off and not as wet.

I went out this morning, opened the outer window (as the air was nice) let the birds out (early) and went back to bed.

It rained, for almost 5 hours!

Went out to check on the darlings and shut the window.

There is almost an actual moat around the barn now.

sickbyc.gif
Ugh. That smell. The rain got in.
hit.gif

I think this is the first year I would be ok with cold and snow!

Off to spend more $ on extra bedding.

There is almost an actual moat around the barn now.

sickbyc.gif
Ugh. That smell. The rain got in.
hit.gif

I think this is the first year I would be ok with cold and snow!

Off to spend more $ on extra bedding.
I can sympathize! It's been a very, very wet week here too. We have multiple mud puddles throughout the yard. When it's not actually pouring, I have seen my birds drinking (& pooping) in the puddles. YUCK! They have also been staying within 20' of the coop/run, so the swampy grass in that area is getting trashed. Why won't they use the rest of the yard??? Or at least drink from one of the clean waterers I provide?

Anyone know where to get a barred lion head rabbit mine male died
Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I don't know much about rabbits, but I'm sure all the former 2015 Easter presents are on Craigslist by now. If you're looking for breeder quality, perhaps ask someone from 4H. Usually someone who shows rabbits will know which families raise which breeds.

Back
Top Bottom