Illinois...

I live in Kinderhook, IL, near(ish) Quincy. Hoping to get started with chickens real soon. I have 3 chicks and we need to get started on a coop, we are pretty lost. Anyone near me who can help a new person out?!

I am not near you, but there are a lot of people here that can help. If your just starting out, before you start your coop, just know that more than likely you will add to your little flock. So get or build a coop a little larger than needed at this time. I made that mistake and I know many others have too. If you have any questions just post them, and people will help or steer you in the right direction. I was so grateful to be part of this site when I first started.

I live in Kinderhook, IL, near(ish) Quincy. Hoping to get started with chickens real soon. I have 3 chicks and we need to get started on a coop, we are pretty lost. Anyone near me who can help a new person out?!

I am not near you, but there are a lot of people here that can help. If your just starting out, before you start your coop, just know that more than likely you will add to your little flock. So get or build a coop a little larger than needed at this time. I made that mistake and I know many others have too. If you have any questions just post them, and people will help or steer you in the right direction. I was so grateful to be part of this site when I first started.
x2 on making it bigger than you plan. I thought we'd have 4 - 6 hens, but found a good deal on a 10-12 hen coop. Last year, I had to put an addition on my run.
hide.gif
Chickens are addictive!

Take a look at what others have built & incorporate the ideas you like. Try to make it as easy to clean as possible! I use sand & spend 5 min cleaning each day. That way they are always clean, less flies, & I avoid the bigger weekly clean outs. Other people enjoy the deep litter method or get free mulch from a local municipality. You must find what works for you.
If you haven't looked yet, go through the BYC section on coops for ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Thanks! I just got in touch with a local poultry farm that is coming over next week to help me out. They are going to teach me everything I need to know and help me with building a coop. So excited.

welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread! Ditto on making the size of your coop larger than you think you will need. We are here to support your new addiction hobby. Don't hesitate to ask questions. We may not have the answer, so we may direct you to a particular forum or thread because we want you to be successful with your flock. What kind of chicks do you have? Are you keeping them inside your house/garage? How old are they?

welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread! Ditto on making the size of your coop larger than you think you will need. We are here to support your new addiction hobby. Don't hesitate to ask questions. We may not have the answer, so we may direct you to a particular forum or thread because we want you to be successful with your flock. What kind of chicks do you have? Are you keeping them inside your house/garage? How old are they?
We got 3 little easter eggers from the localish farm store. Assuming they were 1-2 days old when we got them they are now a little over a week old. They are being kept in my master bathroom in a rabbit cage we converted to a brooder. They grow so fast! They seem 3 times the size they were when we first got them. We are going to start building our coop on Thursday with the help of a young man that helps run a poultry farm near us. Yes, I am totally aware I did it backwards and got the chickens before the coop.

Adding hastily made cell phone pictures:

Last edited:
Quote: Congrats on finding some one to help with the coop build. Backwards or not, welcome to the wonderful world of chickens!
Cute! Love the puffy cheeks! They grow very quickly and before you know it, will out grow the rabbit cage. My first hens were Easter Eggers I got through our local Farmers Elevator in a "combined order" with others who only wanted a few chicks. I got four. All different looking. One laid an olive egg and the others blue eggs of various shades. They were a long realized dream come true.

Cochin Bantams from Diane, have began to hatch! 3 out, 3 pipped and 2 still waiting. Keeping my fingers crossed for a frizzle.

welcome-byc.gif

My new hobby is already going to be a problem as there are so many different chicken breeds I want...

My new hobby is already going to be a problem as there are so many different chicken breeds I want...

That's how I started! I got 4 from the feed store. Built my little coop. Then decided I wanted some blue egg layers, so hatched out 6 Crested Cream Legbars. Then I wanted some chocolate egg layers, so hatched out marans. Then wanted a many different varieties of Orpingtons, hatch out many. Then wanted green egg layer, Isbars hatched. Then cochin bantams, etc. Be careful, its an addiction.

Back
Top Bottom