Illinois...

Heya Notaf! We've almost got enough for club! I'm hoping to put together a barnyard mix. My former flock was beautiful but no show birds. My roo was a Handsome Welsummer named Lucky. The eggs in my avatar pic are from that flock. I'm hoping to find older birds as DH has drawn the line at chicks in the house.

DH and I used to go to pizza place and also a meat market in Sublette...probably 10 years ago though. Are you NAF or just not yet?
1f604.png

Yes I know where amboy is! I'm still fairly new to the area. We relocated to walnut in June 2011 when my husband, boyfriend at the time, to the job offer for Comcast. My first batch of eggs went into lock down today! So in hoping Tuesday or Wednesday to have chicks! I got my eggs from a super nice guy just north of sterling that has a decent variety of chickens.

My name is from what my DH says when I ask about getting animals, "This is Not A Farm!". We have four acres with lots of trees and a creek that runs across it on the north end. He is a "city boy" (Chicago suburbs) and I am a military kid whose parents were raised on farms in NE. We live in a "community" of homes that once was part of a farm where the farmer ran cattle while his fields were planted. The property was sold to "developers" apart from the tillable acreage. There are 22 homes and two properties without anything on them. All are 2.5 to 7 acres. I am happy with my flock of Icelandic chickens, and rescued barn cats, that keep the rodent population down. I have a couple of roosters and haven't had any problems with neighbors.....so far.

Country Village Meat Market in Sublette...highly recommended!!
Pizza in Sublette must have been Pete's....he sold out to Dee (she was a server there) and it is now Route 52 Roadhouse.

We'll have to have a get-together!!

Ran over to Farm and Fleet today. They have feed on sale and if you buy 2 bags of feed, you get a treat block for free! Chicks are going thru a bag a week, they have to gooooooo. LOL
the one in Montgomery, IL?? I may need to plan a trip!

I'm in a similar situation, but it's of my own doing. I have 4 lav orp chicks leaving today & whatever's left in the brooder by Thurs are going to WI for a friend. I then have my older group. I only plan to keep 4 as new flock members, but have 10. They're trained to walk themselves back & forth to the tractor. All I have to do is close the door behind them & check food & water. I haven't been aggressively trying to sell them, so I can't complain until after I've posted them in numerous places.

Not -

Your husband sounds like mine - he's from Chicago too. I grew up downstate but moved to Chicago in the early 80's and then out here in the mid 90's. We're on just under 5 acres and had chickens, goats, cats and dogs until a few years back. I got ill and eventually had to give up the goats and chickens. I garden a lot and am suddenly retired so I may have time for some other 'hobbies' (artsy stuff). I had a beautiful flock previously and miss having chickens so I'm actively trying to put a new flock together. Love having a rooster announce the day! Getting together would be fun!

Here's a picture of part of my old flock:

the one in Montgomery, IL?? I may need to plan a trip!

I'm in a similar situation, but it's of my own doing. I have 4 lav orp chicks leaving today & whatever's left in the brooder by Thurs are going to WI for a friend. I then have my older group. I only plan to keep 4 as new flock members, but have 10. They're trained to walk themselves back & forth to the tractor. All I have to do is close the door behind them & check food & water. I haven't been aggressively trying to sell them, so I can't complain until after I've posted them in numerous places.

No, this time we decide to head south to Bourbonnais. It was nice ride, and was a shorter trip than the Montgomery location by about 10 minutes. And we didn't get lost this time, cause I drove.

So I'm sill on the quest to trap the woodchucks that moved into the barn after I evicted the skunks... I have been setting a live trap for the last few days and they keep cleaning it out and not tripping it, I even tried putting the food in a jar so it wasn't easy to grab still no luck... So I didn't re-bait last night and low and behold come today a curious baby woodchuck tripped the trap... This was a disappointment to my daughters who have been monitoring the trap like hawks really wanting to see a 'big' woodchuck like I told them they would...

So both daughters take the small catch in stride and proclaim "At least we can use it for snake food" LOL...

Newly hatched chick is in fetal position for more than 12 hrs now. Is there anything I can do for it apart from vitamins etc.

My guess is that chicks outlook isn't going to be good as something is clearly wrong... The vitamins might help, and possibly some water as well as real warm temps, but I suspect that might not be enough in the end...

Back
Top Bottom