Illinois...

Rural King in Peru, Illinois had 99 cent chicks because they were 2-3 weeks old. Had 2 oldest girls with me and need I say more.....we came home with 6 new chicks. 3 isa Browns and 3 black sexlinks. My hubby is still building a big brooder box so we are at this brooder a max. My girls are ecstatic!
And so, it has begun. Chicken math, be careful you could end up like many of us here. LOL

I am in Glasford Illinois which is 10 mins outside of Canton and 20 mins from Peoria I am new at all this but have a variety of chicks and am loving this more and more every day

And CC if you decide to sell one of those silver laced boys or if I can just borrow one let me know lol

We have dreamed up a project bird and I will be needing a silver laced roo for a bit. We haven't decided if we want to go the slw or orp route. Please don't take me too seriously or be offended not expecting anything just throwing it out there.
Both of these boys are here to stay for a long while. I had made an expensive purchase on a 4 month old SL cockerel in order to breed true SL. He just did not thrive after the trip from Pennsylvania. Ended up losing him shortly after. So, I had to bite the bullet again, but this time, she sent me a back up in case. So these 2 are treated like gold.

Yesterday was so HOT & today is looking worse. My poor biele pullet's expression says it all. I ended up putting a couple fans on the coop / run last night. I also used ice in the chickens' waterers throughout the day. I think today will be "bath day." It at least cools them off for a little while.

I'm down to my 2 favorite Appenzeller Spitzhauben pullets. (Having a hard time choosing which one to keep.)
The one next to my Biele (pic above) has more white, a larger crest, and a goofy personality.

I like the smaller "spitz" of the one picture below. She is definitely the prettier one & a sweet girl. I brought her inside for some cuddles & a mini photoshoot.

I've been a bit worried about my chicks and the heat. We usually get lots of wind down here and then they seem ok. Yesterday, I think it was, there was no wind and they were panting a bit. One other hot day, they got spooked - I think by the neighbor's lawnmower - and I found them in the chicken coop - definitely too hot. Unfortunately, they've figured out how to get into the coop from the run, but not how to go down the ramp to get out. So, I've got to watch that. The last 2 mornings, Princess Laya, my Speckled Sussex, has been out in the run when I went out in the morning. The only thing is..... I don't know if she's figured it out or if she's just staying out. I need to remember to check after dark this morning.
Also, I installed a new feeder made of pvc pipe and I've seen a few of them eating from it, but I think they are eating much less. Could this be because of the heat? They seemed eager enough to eat when I scattered some of their food on the ground. I've made sure they have some shade and, like I said, we get quite a bit of wind, but I still worry.

Back
Top Bottom