Illinois...

Finally!!! Our first egg!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Chicks are all doing well so far. One more chick hatched overnight. One egg did not hatch, so I removed it & put it in the incubator for a few more days. Shortly after doing this, Cookie began talking, scratching & teaching the chicks how to eat/drink.

They are so incredibly fluffy!!!!
I wish I could have spent more time with them today, but I had oral surgery. Everything went well, but no bending, lifting etc for a few days. No crunchy foods for 2 weeks. Numbness is gone & some pain is present. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be, but i'm pretty worn out. The doc wrote a note excusing me from work & chores- like cleaning the coop. Tomorrow my plans are to rest & play with chicks.

Why did the chicken cross the road???

Well, it only looks like they want to. LOL LOL. They NEVER free range unsupervised, because they have such limited vision, making them HAWK MAGNETS. This was the best spot for me to take nice pix. They are 3 months old now. + or -- ..I am considering giving them haircuts to increase their line of vision. DW thinks I'm nuts.
gig.gif
For now, barber services are on hold. They are my EASIEST chickens to catch. At first, they are all jumpy. After holding in my lap for very short, they just make themselves very comfy. The 3 never separate very far from each other. Always in sight of each. I just Luv these cuties.
love.gif

Edit note; all are pullets.

Last edited:
Well, I spoke to soon. My chickens have had a rough morning, feral cats and the dreaded hawk has returned.

It started Monday night, everyone was put to bed. I have the 6 still in the garage, made sure all were in and closed the door. Heard them about 11 pm doing a lot of chattering, went out and checked on them and didn't see anything. The next morning, my son wakes up and tells me the chickens in the garage were going nuts at 4 am. I had already let them out and everyone was fine. I didn't have a clue as to what was going on with them. But last night and this morning helped me figure it out. Just as I got the guys put away, in strolls a female feral cat. She looked hungry so ran in and got her some salmon. As I was feeding her, son went to let the dog out the side door, where she met a huge male feral cat. He took off, girl stuck around to eat. I didn't see her this A.M. when I went to let the guys out but within 15 minutes they were all yelling. It was the female under the deck. I am assuming I locked the cat in the garage with the chickens Monday night and that is why they were so loud all nite. But at least she didn't hurt them. They are in a cage with an open top, so she could have if she wanted too. My only worry is the 4 current bantam chicks, and the ones soon to be hatching with the broody mamas. Ugg! Then the hawk did a couple of attempts this afternoon, and once he landed in the tree, I got him with the hose. The chickens are quiet this afternoon. Thanks goodness.

@ChicagoClucker
From my previous posts and my avatar, I can claim to be knowledgeable on feral cats. ( Not an authority) Had cats longer than chickens.(first one about 1993) All feral or unwanted ones. All get food, shelter, and rabies shots, and the unspeakable. All get fixed.
lau.gif

Small chicks are beyond resistance to cats. They are looked at as uncooked chicken nuggets. Once they grow to about the size of an OEGH bantam, they are safe from becoming cat snacks. ( Yes, I know there are exceptions always) On the other hand, pigeons, (adult) which are same size as OEGH banties , seem to always make cats' mouthes water.
droolin.gif
Often I see one or more of the cats ogling towards the pigeon loft. I am almost certain, one had a tooth pick in his moth.
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom