Illinois...

My 3 year old and her BFF Rhonda.

Can't say I just know that I have seen a better selection of 'off brands' eggs as ethnic grocery stores that I have visited hear and there...

Ironically I was at Garden Fresh myself today, and noticed they had a Sauder's Farm brand that advertised 'Amish Country' and had a website where you could get more info, so I took a picture of the carton and plugged in the 'farm code' on their website just now... As should be expected the and I know to be mostly true the label is quite deceiving...

Here is the link to the farm the eggs in my local Garden Fresh came from...

http://www.saudereggs.com/farmcode.php?code=260

I do love
roll.png
the very misleading description...

"The eggs they provide are from caged hens, meaning the hens are place in wire cages with feed and water being provided to each cage. The birds are housed with several hens in each cage, with plenty of space for comfortable movement."

A quick glance at the photos shows that to be a big farce and lie... Plenty of space? They can't even stand up in those cages... Needless to say we know those are not fertile...
Yes, those huge buildings with electricity, wire cages, & thousands of chickens don't look very Amish to me. Not to mention the people are wearing denim shorts. Pretty sure that's a big No-no on the Amish dress code. LOL

The technology today is very cool, though. It's interesting that you can pull up the exact farm from where the eggs were produced.

Last edited:
How fun are you planning to do the quail for sure?
Still have some time to decide. Chickens would be much easier since we're all very comfortable hatching & caring for chicks. I've got a few people who we can call to take chicks after they hatch. DD wants to keep the quail & I'm not looking for more beaks to feed. (After all, a sciecne project 4 yrs ago is how we 1st got involved in chickens!)

Faraday.. here is a place that is not far from me that I am pretty sure they are fertile eggs. Never had to buy them myself but they are nice people. I don't know exactly where you are, but I am 20 minutes from Monroe, WI border of IL.

http://ruegseggerfarms.com/
Thanks. They're probably too far away. We're near Chicago, so a trip up to Kenosha, WI or over to Merrillville, IN isn't too bad. I know we could use our own fertile eggs (wash, refridgerate, & drive them around) but DD's idea was to buy eggs from a store. I see plenty of CL ads for local eggs, so that's another way we could modify the experiment. (Of course after finding the fertile quail eggs she really wants to try quail....
hide.gif
DH may not be happy about that one.) Does anyone near me raise quail?

Faraday.. here is a place that is not far from me that I am pretty sure they are fertile eggs. Never had to buy them myself but they are nice people. I don't know exactly where you are, but I am 20 minutes from Monroe, WI border of IL.

http://ruegseggerfarms.com/

Thanks.  They're probably too far away.  We're near Chicago, so a trip up to Kenosha, WI or over to Merrillville, IN isn't too bad.  I know we could use our own fertile eggs (wash, refridgerate, & drive them around) but DD's idea was to buy eggs from a store.  I see plenty of CL ads for local eggs, so that's another way we could modify the experiment. (Of course after finding the fertile quail eggs she really wants to try quail.... :oops:   DH may not be happy about that one.)  Does anyone near me raise quail? 

Personally I would just pick a variety of 'cage free' (at least you can hope there might have been a rooster that had access) eggs as say a few different stores, maybe even a ma/pa health food store or what not and run the experiment... Because as you said if you get known fertile eggs from a farm, you are basically changing the experiment to 'does cleaning and refrigeration decrees fertility' vs 'can you hatch store bought eggs' If you get white eggs, they are stupid easy to candle after about 3-5 days so you will know right away and could reset the experiment with different eggs and get a decent sampling size in short...

Good news! I have been waiting patiently, and the day has finally arrived. My Isabel leghorn finally laid her first egg. I was getting a little worried about her, lol. So glad it was my 3 yr old grandson that found it. He was so excited when he got to collect today.

I got the new run up, and still have to put on the hardware cloth, but got more done on Sunday than I thought I would. Did it myself, but the body aches have been a constant reminder of my age.
old.gif
It was the retaining wall bricks that did me in.

Back
Top Bottom