Illinois...

Pictures for @MeepBeep Your Legbars are starting to lay! Here is some pics to show you how different they are. There is another rooster, but he is camera shy. LOL

Quick question...are they predisposed to burying their eggs? I have to go on an excavation dig sometimes to make sure I have them all!

Sci Fair: DD candled her chicken eggs tonight. You can see her happy expression as she sees the development.

She's "unsure" about this egg.

and another good one!

Well the DW has decided we need a dog. We want something that will be good indoors and also good around the chickens. We are thinking we want to start with puppy so we can raise and train and not have to overcome any previous bad habits. I have experience with labs and shepherds and raised them for Southeastern Guide Dogs Inc when I lived in Florida.
The DW has in her mind she wanta a beagle or a basset hound.
We are not wanting to pay a lot and free would be best. We also will be out of town for the holidays so the beginning of the new year would be best.
If anyone has any leads, please let me know!
We are across the line in Northwest Indiana.

DD officially candled the chicken eggs for her sci fair experiment. (Can you hatch store eggs?)
Her test numbers are small because I don't want a lot of chicks in the house.
Results
6 backyard eggs = all developing
6 fertile farmer's market eggs = 5 developing & 1 blood ring
(We never could find fertile chicken eggs at the grocery store. Cracked open several brands)

I'm pretty surprised that the farmer's market group is doing that well. They were washed, refrigerated, & driven around.

This weekend, DD will candle the quail incubator. I'm very curious to see how those are doing.
10 store eggs
10 farmer's market eggs
10 backyard eggs

@MikeTodd I will keep an eye out for you.

@Faraday40 that is great that the farmers market eggs are doing so well. Can't wait to hear how the quail eggs are doing. What is the incubation period for the quail eggs?

Well I finally was able to wrap up both runs in plastic yesterday. Going to try and put a top on the smaller run, then cover that one. Leaves have been added and had my good friend bring over her can of leaves to add to the runs. My oldest grandson was not happy that all the leaves went into the runs, he enjoys jumping in the pile. He said "I wish you didn't have chickens Nonna"! I promised him there will be many more leaves next week.

I also had a woman contact me looking for some frizzled pairs. She wasn't able to make it out last week, but, hopefully she will be able to make it out this next week. Need to get my number down on my bantams.

Also I had bought a ton of the bags of jiffy popcorn from the dollar store, to fill vases for the centerpieces for my daughters shower. Its regular corn kernels, the kind you use to pop on the stove top, nothing added. Can I feed it to the chickens?

Last edited:
Our dog has discovered a new disgusting odor that has now added another whole level of magnitude to our stink scale. (BTW- Our dog was diagnosed with cancer 16 months ago (mast cell tumors), yet still surprises us with new things! The vet & I agree that his cancer will likely not be his life-limiting factor.)

In his 9 yrs of life, he remains an active trouble-maker & pokes his nose into all sorts of mischief. Yes, we thought that skunk oils were at the top of his bad smell repertoire. (In fact we keep several qts of peroxide & boxes of baking always on hand because he gets sprayed at least 3xs per year!) We also buy pet shampoo in bulk because he enjoys a good roll in misc. animal poop.

So his newly created smell begins with a skunk poo snack & rub. (After which he got a standard peroxide/baking soda soak.) After that we realized the odor was not only in his fur, but actually coming from his nose & mouth. He spent the night in the crate where with every tongue flick the skunk odor grew. By the time I went to bed, my eyes & my lungs were irritated - almost as if I had been sprayed. By morning I opened the bedroom door & was assaulted by a new putrid smell: Skunk-poo dog vomit!

How can such a beautiful mutt get so many bad smells?

Does anyone know of a good over-the-counter doggie mouthwash?

@Faraday40 that is great that the farmers market eggs are doing so well. Can't wait to hear how the quail eggs are doing. What is the incubation period for the quail eggs?
About 17 days. Lockdown on day 14

Also I had bought a ton of the bags of jiffy popcorn from the dollar store, to fill vases for the centerpieces for my daughters shower. Its regular corn kernels, the kind you use to pop on the stove top, nothing added. Can I feed it to the chickens?
Good Question. I know they love it popped- plain no butter or salt

It's very very hard, so I don't know how well it would break down if unpopped. (Especially for your bantams)

DD candled Quail eggs tonight - day 7

hatching eggs = 6 looked good, 4 ?
farmer market eggs = 6 looked good, 4 ?
grocery store eggs = 9 looked clear, 1 maybe

Extra hatching quail eggs (not part of the experiment were thrown in the other incubator) All 6 looked good. Those overflow eggs were put in the home-made cooler-bator with the chicken eggs. That incubator always does better. I must open it to turn eggs by hand 3xs per day, but the temp is still always perfect.

Considering the breeder told us to expect a low hatch rate due to seasonal infertility, I'm happy about the results so far. A little surprised that the 1st 2 groups are the same, but we'll see what happens soon. DD will candle again in a few days & remove the definite clears then. The speckles from the quail eggs make candling more difficult.

DD candled Quail eggs tonight - day 7

hatching eggs = 6 looked good, 4 ?
farmer market eggs = 6 looked good, 4 ?
grocery store eggs = 9 looked clear, 1 maybe

Extra hatching quail eggs (not part of the experiment were thrown in the other incubator) All 6 looked good. Those overflow eggs were put in the home-made cooler-bator with the chicken eggs. That incubator always does better. I must open it to turn eggs by hand 3xs per day, but the temp is still always perfect.

Considering the breeder told us to expect a low hatch rate due to seasonal infertility, I'm happy about the results so far. A little surprised that the 1st 2 groups are the same, but we'll see what happens soon. DD will candle again in a few days & remove the definite clears then. The speckles from the quail eggs make candling more difficult.

Good luck, I love quail eggs. They are sooooo pretty.

Back
Top Bottom