Illinois...

The coyotes , wolves and dogs are all possible to interbreed. My only question is how these turtle doves came about.

These came in the mail for me on the Second Day of Christmas.

The coyotes , wolves and dogs are all possible to interbreed. My only question is how these turtle doves came about.

These came in the mail for me on the Second Day of Christmas.
gig.gif
That's a good one!

Nothin like a good ole 12/20ga shotgun.

Much easier to hit a small target with a spread of pellets if your not a good shot. Lol

I also have to agree. A strong run/coop is a great defense... ours stopped a pit bull this week. Thankfully.

Please consider enclosing your birds.  I know it's more work to clean, but I haven't lost a bird to a predator since my not so good coop cover collapsed and an owl took two hens some 5 years ago.

We do have two smaller runs but they are not connected to the coop. We have about 40 birds and the space we would have to enclose for them to be truly happy just isn't possible for us. We live in a family owned rental farmhouse so we can not just enclose the entire yard. On top of the the fields all around our house must be able to be accessed and the yard is across the driveway. The small area of grass around the coop would never be enough for our flock to be truly happy. While our coop is quite large and spacious enough for all of our birds we also want them to be safe but also to be able to be chickens and enjoy their lives.

I'm devastated over the loss of Mickey and Ducky but I know that Mickey while only about a year and a half life I know his life was as good of a life as he could ever have had. Much better than way too many of his kind. Commercial and non-commercial. Ducky too had much too short of a life here with us, but she also got to be part of a happy well rounded flock.

The salmon favorelles cockeral we were trying to rehome. He would have ended up in a toaster if one couldn't be found. He hatched last May. It was a short life but a wonderful one sprawling in the sun and scratching through the grass. Chasing moths that arose in the fading light of the evening from gently swaying grass. His life was a much better one than commercial broilers. Garden scraps and kitchen scraps, free feed, fresh air, cool water. Grass under foot.

We mourn for all of our birds that we lose. We feel their loss. Some more than others but none are forgotten. Someday. Maybe we'll create a run for them but how can I expect them to be happy in the same place every day. As the grass becomes trampled and the soil turns to cement, I wouldn't be. They've tasted freedom. They love it.

I'm not saying anyone who doesn't let their flock range is cruel not at all. And for those of you who are able to stay out with them and allow them free range time, I understand that dedication. I applaud it.

All I'm saying is that it isn't about the work of cleaning and keeping them.

An update on Molly's vet appointment. Thank you all tremendously for all the support you always share with everyone on the thread. Your kindness is much appreciated.

Molly is home and for the most part my fears are extinguished. We will be wrapping her paw to see if her licking is causing the inflammation and discoloration. The vet feels that is the cause. If that is the case than it is obviously not cancer. Thank God.

An update on Molly's vet appointment. Thank you all tremendously for all the support you always share with everyone on the thread. Your kindness is much appreciated.

Molly is home and for the most part my fears are extinguished. We will be wrapping her paw to see if her licking is causing the inflammation and discoloration. The vet feels that is the cause. If that is the case than it is obviously not cancer. Thank God.
Just some thoughts; Molly is 10 years old. She may be developing arthritis. My Maltese who is old, (guessing about 14. He is a rescue). He licks his paws for extended periods of time. He then stops and doesn't lick them . I think he has arthritis, and the licking is the only thing he can do. I read somewhere a long time ago that giving an appropriate dose of aspirin is a possible remedy. I do not know what the dose amount would be, I also did not start giving it to my dog yet. If the licking was constant, then it speaks for it self.

Interesting about the paw licking. Our big dog does the same thing on & off, and we're sure he has arthritis. He never did damage to his skin, but I thought it was due to his allergies.

We have 2 elderly dogs here. Our medium dog was diagnosed with cancer in October 2015. It's very slow growing & he pretty much acts like a puppy. He still chases (& catches) squirrels & rabbits, plays fetch, wrestles other dogs, dig holes, eats things he shouldn't, and gets sprayed by skunks. He's an athletic 8.5 year old mix that weighs 80lbs. Our big dog is a Great Dane mix that is 9.5 years old and weighs 100 lbs. He's always been more of a snuggler. Our gentle giant is very slow moving and has trouble climbing stairs & standing up. He used to move out of the way when laying in the heavily traveled but narrow hallway. Now we must always step over him. I am grateful he is still with us because Danes usually live 6-8 years. Our two dogs grew up together and we have had many years filed with great memories. We are now in the difficult time that every pet owner must face. We do what we can to keep them comfortable in their old age. I feel that when one dog goes, the other will likely not survive long without his buddy. I am thankful for both and how well they protect the kids & chickens. It's not like they're trained to do anything, but a person is less likely to mess with a kid playing outside if that kid is fenced in with a barking dog. Likewise, the hawks don't try anything when there are two loud & crazy dogs ripping through the yard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom