Illinois...

@Faraday40 @ChicagoClucker @chickendreams24

Good news, I saw at least one chick alive and healthy under the broody at around 10:00 AM today. My concern is that my regular broody keeps herself lifted about an inch or so above the nest during hatch time. However this one (first timer and less than a year old) has spread herself down even more. I wonder if she is going to crush the chicks that are hatching. What do you guys think? Shall I take the chicks and remaining eggs from her (they are very precious) or just let nature take its course and accept whatever the results are.

My first broody, and it was her first time too, sat heavy on the nest but kicked the first chick out... I don't know why and the weather was just too cold out.

@Faraday40 @ChicagoClucker @chickendreams24

Good news, I saw at least one chick alive and healthy under the broody at around 10:00 AM today. My concern is that my regular broody keeps herself lifted about an inch or so above the nest during hatch time. However this one (first timer and less than a year old) has spread herself down even more. I wonder if she is going to crush the chicks that are hatching. What do you guys think? Shall I take the chicks and remaining eggs from her (they are very precious) or just let nature take its course and accept whatever the results are.

I would say check on them again this afternoon and tonight. Even if its just the 1 chick, if he is ok, then I would let her go. If your really worried about it, pull a couple eggs and pop in your incubator and leave a couple under her. That way you can still use her brooding the chicks..

Its very strange that suburbs and small towns have more restrictions on chickens and roosters than Chicago. I struggle to understand this phenomenon.

Yeah I technically can't have roosters either, however I talked with my neighbor and just asked them to let me know if he became a problem. That was 8 months ago and they say they don't here him. But then again, he is a silkie and they are a little quieter. I also have a naked neck bantam cochin rooster who just started crowing but doesn't often because of the silkie and my mille fluer d'uccle has not started crowing yet.

x2!!!!

We use the 4H loophole to explain ours. We made sure the neighbors were all OK with it before starting and keep them happy with eggs sales, baked goods, fresh garden veggies, and no crowing from sunset until 8am. (roos go into garage)

I would say check on them again this afternoon and tonight. Even if its just the 1 chick, if he is ok, then I would let her go. If your really worried about it, pull a couple eggs and pop in your incubator and leave a couple under her. That way you can still use her brooding the chicks..
Good advice.

I will wait till tonight and see whats going on. So far i am excited to see at least one healthy chick. She is getting in the mama mood as well. She has never pecked me when I am checking under her but she just tried to. That means she understands there is a chick under her. She was also trying to call the chick while eating.

I also regret that I set them up in a separate small coop outside this time and its been so windy the last couple of days. Its like this one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...8&qid=1492805248&sr=8-3&keywords=chicken+coop

and she is sitting in the top portion. I plan on not opening the door to the run for 5-7 days and just letting the broody out to take care of business for a few minutes every day till then.

OR

Shall I move her down when she is done hatching and cover all the sides with wire portion with plastic?

I will wait till tonight and see whats going on. So far i am excited to see at least one healthy chick. She is getting in the mama mood as well. She has never pecked me when I am checking under her but she just tried to. That means she understands there is a chick under her. She was also trying to call the chick while eating.

I also regret that I set them up in a separate small coop outside this time and its been so windy the last couple of days. Its like this one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...8&qid=1492805248&sr=8-3&keywords=chicken+coop

and she is sitting in the top portion. I plan on not opening the door to the run for 5-7 days and just letting the broody out to take care of business for a few minutes every day till then.

OR

Shall I move her down when she is done hatching and cover all the sides with wire portion with plastic?

I wouldn't bother covering the bottom with plastic. The broody mamas had their chicks out and about last fall and it was in the mid 40s and 50s and they were fine! When they get cold they will get under her.

I wouldn't bother covering the bottom with plastic. The broody mamas had their chicks out and about last fall and it was in the mid 40s and 50s and they were fine! When they get cold they will get under her.
Went to pick up kids from school. Came home to find a chick in front of the broody totally limp but still alive. I think it fell off the 3 inch barrier I had between the broody's nest and the rest of the tray and could not get back. Brought it in and placed in the incubator. Its moving around after being heated for 30 minutes or so. Thought of bringing the broody inside but found 2 more chicks under her. So now I have just removed the barrier in case they fall out of the nest they are able to climb back. Also have placed a lamp in there. The space is getting cramped but I guess will have to live with it till all the eggs are done and chicks are able to walk around well.

Back
Top Bottom