Illinois...

Well I got very little sleep last night. The power went out for about an hour. Husband went out to the garage and looked in on the big ones and the ducks and caught Bagel (the runner girl) having a seizure. Power came back on, fast forward to spending hours researching this forum and the internet. We got up this morning and went to try to find duramycin 10, turns out you cant buy that OTC any more. There are a few things it can be, and we are going to try to treat her as best we can. I got different water electrolytes and brewers yeast. She is very sweet and friendly, much more so than Popcorn and Taco the Khaki Campbells. I really hope we can save her.

Well I got very little sleep last night. The power went out for about an hour. Husband went out to the garage and looked in on the big ones and the ducks and caught Bagel (the runner girl) having a seizure. Power came back on, fast forward to spending hours researching this forum and the internet. We got up this morning and went to try to find duramycin 10, turns out you cant buy that OTC any more. There are a few things it can be, and we are going to try to treat her as best we can. I got different water electrolytes and brewers yeast. She is very sweet and friendly, much more so than Popcorn and Taco the Khaki Campbells. I really hope we can save her. 

So scary. I hope she's okay.

@Louise Waffles She seems alright today. She is up walking, eating and drinking. Had a grand time playing in the pool and running around the yard. There I go breaking rules again letting them be free. The neighbors 4 year old loves watching them... So does their lab
hmm.png
I am really hoping its some kind of vitamin deficiency thing. She likes the new electrolyte water (rooster booster?) so hopefully she can keep being awesome. I am glad I didnt actually see the event because it would have traumatized me. I saw one of the chicks we had die on us siezing and she did it in her final moment and I wont soon be forgetting that, and she had only been here 2 days. Bagel is 5 weeks old.

@jnckids and @Faraday40 that is THE question isnt haha.

@Louise Waffles
 She seems alright today. She is up walking, eating and drinking. Had a grand time playing in the pool and running around the yard. There I go breaking rules again letting them be free. The neighbors 4 year old loves watching them... So does their lab :/  I am really hoping its some kind of vitamin deficiency thing. She likes the new electrolyte water (rooster booster?) so hopefully she can keep being awesome. I am glad I didnt actually see the event because it would have traumatized me. I saw one of the chicks we had die on us siezing and she did it in her final moment and I wont soon be forgetting that, and she had only been here 2 days. Bagel is 5 weeks old. 

@jnckids
 and @Faraday40
 that is THE question isnt haha.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Bagel. Seizures are scary, hopefully it's a simple fix.

split wing & scissor wing:

Does anyone have a good link or pics to share? I want to learn more about this & it sounds like a serious flaw. I think.... split wing is when there's a gap that's noticable when wings are fanned out and scissor wing is when the wings feathers stick out when they're supposed to be folded & flat. Right?

I believe I have a choc cuckoo chick that may have split wing. That would mean Brick, Godiva, or both are carriers? Would that mean that I should cull them?
I am also not sure if this is technically split wing or just slow feather growth.

Below= close up of the same male chick

Below is the female cuckoo's wing.

BTW- I'm still trying to figure out the gender of my 7 wk old blue orp. (Leaning toward pullet today.) Most of the time I can tell genders early.

My second batch is only 3 weeks & I already have
Some early Bloomers:

and Some girlie faces:

If its definitely a split wing, it means both of them are carriers for the gene. According to the article posted by @ChicagoClucker that seems to be pretty common in English Orpingtons. One of Brick's siblings that went to @chickendreams24 also had a split wing. So your call, if you are going to show the birds, split wing is a DQ or if you are going to sell them as show birds, it would be a DQ, if not, does it matter if they are carriers for split wing? As long as you are honest about it(which I know you are)when selling them you don't need to cull. Now that I have possibly seen a second one with split wings, I will not breed from Brick's mom any more (although don't have a rooster anyways).

Back
Top Bottom