Illinois...

I also snapped some pics of my Juvies. They are filling out nicely and my mottled orp pullet is a big girl. Hoping to get some more flecks of color on the Jubilee after her first molt. And the russian has great color and the muff is nothing but fluff! View attachment 1079927 View attachment 1079922 View attachment 1079923 View attachment 1079926
The 3 pullets are about 2-3 weeks older than my handsome Black orp cockerel. He is going to be a looker, just like his Dad. I hope he will earn the name McDreamy II

Edited to add: These 4 finally went in on their own last night. It only took about 5 weeks!
I laughed when I saw the pose of your Russian Or. Looks like that one has some personality. All your chickens look great. :love

Hi IL neighbors!!! Tinley Park here.... Anyone use the Prince brand grower crumble? Not liking the reviews of Big R brands... I'm also a newbie so I could use as much help as possible! I have 5 Silkies ranging 4-6 weeks. I bought my starter 0-6 organic crumble from Belmont Feed & Seed, but that's over an hour drive for me so I'm trying to find something more local. THANK YOU!!

Hi IL neighbors!!! Tinley Park here.... Anyone use the Prince brand grower crumble? Not liking the reviews of Big R brands... I'm also a newbie so I could use as much help as possible! I have 5 Silkies ranging 4-6 weeks. I bought my starter 0-6 organic crumble from Belmont Feed & Seed, but that's over an hour drive for me so I'm trying to find something more local. THANK YOU!!
I wouldn't worry too much about brand. If your birds are healthy, they'll eat just about anything. I'm closer to St Louis than I am to Chicago and we have all kinds of farm stores around here. If the distance to a good farm store is too much, consider ordering online. Rural King ships for free on orders over $99.

never used Prince brand
there is another feed store in lemont/Homer glen .. a few miles north and and west of Big R in Homer Glen... they may have more in the store than the web site. http://ludwigsfeedstore.com
I haven't bought anything but turkey food from them... but I did check prices and they were cheaper than big R.. they had organic poultry pellets for close to the same price I pay for mash $27/50lbs.. but I do not remember the brand. It is a old place and google maps says you're there when you are already past it lol
*edit to add* I just looked at belmont and prince looks like what I seen at Ludwigs.. but they had other brands too*

I get mash(milled feed, not crumble or pellets) from a woman in crete that gets it from Wolcottville Organic Livestock Feed Co-op in IN

never used Prince brand
there is another feed store in lemont/Homer glen .. a few miles north and and west of Big R in Homer Glen... they may have more in the store than the web site. http://ludwigsfeedstore.com
I haven't bought anything but turkey food from them... but I did check prices and they were cheaper than big R.. they had organic poultry pellets for close to the same price I pay for mash $27/50lbs.. but I do not remember the brand. It is a old place and google maps says you're there when you are already past it lol

I get mash(milled feed, not crumble or pellets) from a woman in crete that gets it from Wolcottville Organic Livestock Feed Co-op in IN
This is where I'm getting my feed and they carry the Prince brand! Ha! What a coincidence. Love Ludwigs

:welcomeHi Brittany, I live on the south side of the city, Mt. Greenwood area, near Oak Lawn suburbs. The pet store near me, Animal Krackers, in Merrionette Park, carries Prince crumble for chicks and layer pellets. I use the crumbles for my whole flock, layers and chicks alike. The like it and I like that my layers get the extra protein.

I just saw the FB post for Hens for Tinley, that they might reverse their decision on backyard chickens for you folks. Hopefully, it will work out for all the chicken keepers in Tinley.

This is where I'm getting my feed and they carry the Prince brand! Ha! What a coincidence. Love Ludwigs

:welcomeHi Brittany, I live on the south side of the city, Mt. Greenwood area, near Oak Lawn suburbs. The pet store near me, Animal Krackers, in Merrionette Park, carries Prince crumble for chicks and layer pellets. I use the crumbles for my whole flock, layers and chicks alike. The like it and I like that my layers get the extra protein.

I just saw the FB post for Hens for Tinley, that they might reverse their decision on backyard chickens for you folks. Hopefully, it will work out for all the chicken keepers in Tinley.
Thank you!!! Yeah, I think I'll try the Prince grower. I actually live in Unincorporated Tinley Park so the rules thankfully don't apply to where I currently live. I do hope for others though that they'll reverse!!

:welcome
I'm also in the Chicago suburbs. Here's the list of feed stores that I go to. (I have the list b/c so many people have asked me when buying chicks.)

Ludwigs Feed Store
Address: 13205 131st St, Lemont, IL 60439

Phone: (630) 257-3097
*Good old fashioned feed store.

Big R
Address: 15830 S Bell Rd, Homer Glen, IL 60491
Phone:(708) 645-0805
* They give kids in 4H a 10% discount.

Farm and Fleet
Address: 451 South Weber Road, Romeoville IL 60446
Phone: (815) 905-3333

*Nice big, clean, newer store.

Farm and Fleet
Address: 400 US-30, Montgomery, IL 60538
Phone:(630) 801-0232

** This one is farther away, but near my dad’s. The staff seems to be more knowledgeable about livestock care & the store’s been around a while.

Back
Top Bottom