Illinois...

I went to go out to give the guys some treats this afternoon and when I got to my 3 littles, I noticed my blue cuckoo boy holding his left leg up and kind of falling hopping. His leg was so swollen that the band I had on him was almost covered. With the help of my son, we were able to use some tweezer to lift the band enough to cut it off. But as I turned him over to remove the band, I gently lowered his leg towards his body and I felt something pop in his upper leg, maybe hip. Could he have dislocated his hip, or have a slipped tendon? Is there anything I can do? I checked and felt his leg and hip, but couldn't feel anything out of place. Going to hope that pop I heard was the sound of something going back into place.

I went to go out to give the guys some treats this afternoon and when I got to my 3 littles, I noticed my blue cuckoo boy holding his left leg up and kind of falling hopping. His leg was so swollen that the band I had on him was almost covered. With the help of my son, we were able to use some tweezer to lift the band enough to cut it off. But as I turned him over to remove the band, I gently lowered his leg towards his body and I felt something pop in his upper leg, maybe hip. Could he have dislocated his hip, or have a slipped tendon? Is there anything I can do? I checked and felt his leg and hip, but couldn't feel anything out of place. Going to hope that pop I heard was the sound of something going back into place.
Fingers crossed for you! What a very weird experience!

Topsy the Bantam Cochin continues to thrive. She's starting to burst feathers out the way only frizzles can. I was trying to get a good picture of her and caught a funny back end shot. IMG_20170721_210346.jpg

Update on Mr Blue Cuckoo: Swelling was down a bit by the next morning and he was back to walking normal. Leg is still a bit swollen though, just going to watch and perhaps give him an Epsom soak to help with the swelling.

Topsy the Bantam Cochin continues to thrive. She's starting to burst feathers out the way only frizzles can. I was trying to get a good picture of her and caught a funny back end shot.View attachment 1085661
How do you know if you have a frizzle or not? I have two that could possibly be a frizzle per the farm I got them. I'm a newbie and learning! My blue Silkies feathers are different than all the rest...

Update on Mr Blue Cuckoo: Swelling was down a bit by the next morning and he was back to walking normal. Leg is still a bit swollen though, just going to watch and perhaps give him an Epsom soak to help with the swelling.

I think it must be the band that caused it. I had that happen to one of my chicks last year. He recovered in a couple of weeks but one could always tell where the band was.

Back
Top Bottom