Illinois...

It could have been. He is much bigger than the other 2, but that pop I felt was scary. And he was back to using his leg to walk within 5 minutes after. He seems to be doing well, so fingers crossed.
I think it must be the band that caused it. I had that happen to one of my chicks last year. He recovered in a couple of weeks but one could always tell where the band was.

I'm thinking of a SIZZLE.. not a frizzle. So much to learn!!!! :eek:
SIZZLE............ Well that describes the sound my BBQ grill makes when I throw on some meat. :lau I prepare myself for some good eating in short order. I am referring to grocery store meat cuts, and not my chickens.
As to silkies, I consider them to have fur rather than feathers. Had them long in the past. (only hens).. They were soooooo sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet, that I want to get some again. :love

SIZZLE............ They were soooooo sweet, sweet, sweet, sweet, that I want to get some again. :love

I wish I could share one of mine but DD's too much in love -- with BOTH. I fear I'll be singing the broody blues just like @ChicagoClucker next summer.
1.jpg

Is the other one reaching the same level of spoiled @Faraday40?

A big Yes! The only thing which prevented the splash from becoming a fav was that I kept calling it a HE. Now that we think it's a SHE, that bird is glued to DD. It's always in the house and literally comes up to our feet & begins to whine until it gets picked up. Right now DD's in the family room rehearsing her 4H presentations and the silkie (with painted toenails) is the pretend judge.

Today she will present 15 projects, Tues 4 more projects, and Wed is the talent show in which she will dance. DS will present his Cloverbud project today.

Her vet sci was a pretty big one.
IMG_3093.JPG

and for poultry sci she will talk about her experience with hatching quail, explain how she made feeders & wateres, and designed a cage. She also got a grant to build a new cage and accessories for her quail. Last week was too hot for my dad to work in his garage with her, so it's only 90% done. We have pics of a mostly completed cage. Hopefully they'll understand & not mark her down too much. I'd hate for her to score low for having high goals when just simply hatching is what most kids try to accomplish.
(Of course, it's also obvious that the quail cage was built for a future rabbit. LOL)
h.jpg e.jpg IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3091.JPG l.jpg

We made it through our 1st day of judging. DD was in big demand due to the amount of projects she entered. As we were leaving she noticed that she won best in show for her metal project (visual arts) AND her photography - the pic of Drumsticks, our Spitzhauben roo. :clapMany other projects had the blue ribbons. Don't know about her 2 big poultry projects, but we'll be back tomorrow for round #2. We were pretty surprised that her photos did so well.

Here's the pic she chose:
Drumsticks earned her a blue ribbon, Class Champ, & Best in Show
IMG_2186.JPG
This one of Brick got a blue ribbon & Class Champ ribbon
Graces Photeo.jpg

The only mild heartbreak was her nature art. She dyed molted feathers from our chickens & made colorful hairpieces. They told her that the fake crystals & metal hair clips took away from the natural appearance, so she got a red ribbon. Oh well. Her friends all enjoy wearing them.
IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2457.JPG IMG_2463.JPG headpiece.jpg
The last pic (from dance) was technically the one I made, but DD made her own just like it to enter in the fair. She chose to use only one peacock feather so it would be less dramatic for Sunday use.

2 of my 7 week old chicks scalped a 5 week old orp yesterday.

Brought her inside to protect from flies.
Applied Neosporin (which I believe I shouldn't have since there is no skin). What can I do for her? I heard mixture of sugar and turmeric is good for healing. Any other suggestions? She doesn't seem too uncomfortable at this time and is eating and drinking. Hoping she survives especially since its a mystery chick, possibly from a choc laced project.

Mystery-Scalped.jpg

Oh that poor girl. I wish I could help but I do not have any experience with such. Although I have seen much worse, Steve's silkie who had a chunk taken out of her by a opossum. She made it and the wound was much worse. Good luck and I hope she will be fine.

Oh that poor girl. I wish I could help but I do not have any experience with such. Although I have seen much worse, Steve's silkie who had a chunk taken out of her by a opossum. She made it and the wound was much worse. Good luck and I hope she will be fine.

I will probably put some turmeric and honey on it.

@Junibutt
Poor little chick. You did the right thing by isolating her so she may recover without bullying. I'm not sure of how to treat or even if chickens can get stitches. I did have a young chick with a gash on it's back. I applied Vetericyn spray several times a day, but since it was a broody's chick, I left it with mama. (Chick got too stressed.) The wound eventually made a nice scab & then feathered in normally. I was worried I'd have to put it down. Now I'm both surprised & happy about the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom