Illinois...

Long time since I've been on. Things have been a struggle here. Never enough time and all.

Been dealing as most of you may remember with rats in the coop since early this year even last winter. They escalated and our flock has suffered. First we had to rebuild our nest boxes two weeks after we had just rebuilt them. The rats getting in and eating eggs was teaching the flock to eat eggs and we are still dealing with that. The new nest box build feature
features roll out nesting boxes and a tray. Which is a Good since our eggs went from about 2 dozen a day to zero. We are now getting more and more each day again but they aren't yet used to the new nest boxes.

We are also identifying positive egg eaters which we will try to rehab. They may have to be processed if they don't stop.

Furthermore the rats caused even greater problems when they(we later discovered) moved in under our juvenile coop which we had surrounded with tin to prevent predators from getting in. This is our only coop or run without a concrete foundation. The rats then began attacking the juveniles in that coop.

The following details are horrific if sensitive please skip down until you see several blank lines...

We began finding chicks(the juveniles) dead or in shock in the small coop. In a matter of only a couple hours we may come in and find a dead chick. Or worse a living breathing chick with a gaping hole where it's vent used to be it's insides literally eaten out of it. Yes that's right we were literally losing birds as they were being eaten alive. Without question all of those with even just their vent missing(some we caught early) were put down immediately for humane reasons. It was incredibly horrible. The chicks themselves began to prey upon their injured siblings. Finding the color and taste to their liking. This has been our first experience with cannibalism and a horrible one it is too. We lifted the tin and found a pair of rats living in tunnels below it. Huge rats!

We had been trapping and killing the rats for months but only made a little headway. Fighting the problem at the little coop we didn't lose any birds from the big coop. Until the last straw. At bed check one night last week we found my beloved EE, Belle and sister to my sweet Pebbles in the corner. Our oldest birds I know their routine well and Belle was not next to Pebbles I knew immediately something was wrong. When I picked her up and saw the massive hole from pelvic bone to pelvic bone I gasped and then sobbed. My poor poor Belle. It was the last straw. We had avoided poison until that night, worried about the possible impact on local wildlife. We couldn't wait any longer. As I said Belle roosted next to my dearest Pebbles. What I didn't mention is that roost is part of the roost ladder and a good four feet off the ground. They also slept in the middle of the roost not on either end. I couldn't believe that Belle had gotten attacked. I was horrified that we had to put down our sweet girl. We layed poison out that night under wire milk crates that only rats or mice could access, one in the small coop one outside the big coop. The next morning 8 total cubes were gone. There was nothing left to pick up. We continued to put out poison and for days there was nothing left each morning. In the last few days we have finally been having to pick up poison in the mornings. We have also found the bodies of 4 massive rats and are sure there are more down in their burrows or even in the walls of the coop.

The fight continues but we no longer see rats hardly ever out there. Thank goodness. We have lost so many chicks and my wonderful Belle. We were able to save one of the fist chicks injured a Buckeye cockeral (some of you may remember that they were DH2B'S birthday gift and we sent out to a heritage breeder for them) up until the rats they were all doing alive and very well. Now we are down to four pullets and a number of cockerals (we had 8-9 pullets to start).

Below is a photo of Belle and a photo of one of the largest rats taken next to one of my reusable water bottles. The water bottle measures ten inches end to end.

View attachment 1101788 View attachment 1101788 View attachment 1101789

Yikes Chickendreams- are you in the city?
I haven't seen rats like that since I lived there. Maybe you need a Jack Russell. Or Schnauzer.

@chickendreams24
WOW! That's some rat! Hopefully you put a good dent into their population at your place.

I'm so sorry the rats killed your special Belle. I know she was your favorite.
:hugs

Is your grandpa doing a little better? Did his infection respond to treatment?

Hi guys thanks for the responses. :)

No we don't live in town scarily. No joke I know there's rats in the country it's prime habitat but until last summer here(about 1 year ago)in this home I've never seen a wild rat. Period. We've never seen any of their large droppings or seen them at all. I've lived in several places and most of my life in the country and seen nothing. Even when I lived in a small town(not a city) we never saw a thing and there was a vacant barn behind our property line.

Now since the problem here we have also found evidence(rat droppings) on my grandparent's property that they have rats too. But they have barn cats and we've never seen a rat there(or any piece of one).

Not going to lie I wish I knew someone with a pack of ratting terriers. I saw some videos on YouTube of it and it would have been our preferred method to the poison especially since they became very bold. Since we don't, we had to do this. I hate poison but having lost nearly a dozen juveniles when all was said and done and Belle it was our last choice.

@Faraday40
Thanks for the hug I've definitely been in need of one.
Thank you for your concern. Yes Belle was a favorite but it could have been worse if they had attacked Pebbles, roosting next to Belle, I think I might have just given up on chickens all together. I know I shouldn't play favorites but I think we all can't help but have a few and Pebbles thinks she's a dog I swear. Lol she also wants to be a house chicken. Every time we carry in groceries and have the doors propped open Pebbles and two of my OEGB Minnie and Crocket have to be carried out. Lol Pebbles has made it clear through the porch into the kitchen on a number of occasions lol.
Belle was such a sweet beautiful chicken especially after she was treated for a slow crop this spring after eating some overly long grass.

Pebbles was quite upset by the loss of Belle her last sister but has come around. Pebbles gets along with everyone so that helps but I can tell she misses her. I don't think Pebbles has resumed laying. In fact bc of the rats and lice(despite only finding lice or nits on 6 birds)we are doing poorly with egg numbers. We also have several premature molters most of whom are at about the right age but I was expecting them to wait until fall. Perhaps the stress and crazy weather are to blame. It's been very cool here at night.

Egg numbers are beginning to pick up and I think that has a lot to do with the lack of rats which not only ate the eggs but stressed and scared the birds. Thank goodness we haven't seen any. We are still being super careful with the juvenile coop in case the losses start again. It's frustrating how many babies we lost that I wanted, and of course mostly females. Ugh.

My Grandpa did respond to treatment but he still has the infected bed sore. We are told it could take up to more than a year to heal completely but it's likely that he will have it for the rest of his life. He is in a different facility the third one he's been in this year not counting the two hospitals and the facility that regulated his Alzheimer's meds(which he was in three times bc the other facilities were screwing him up). It's been long and hard and scary.

Grandpa is more like a father to me and I know we're coming down to the wire. We were told that the treatment could cause his Alzheimer's to worsen. We weren't fully prepared for how much. He's there locked inside his own mind most of the time. He spends much of his time looking at the floor. He's still mobile and most of the time continent if they listen when he says he has to go potty. If he could see himself now he would be ashamed. He wouldn't want us to see him like this. My Grandpa is a strong and handsome man humble and proud at the same time. This is his worst nightmare come true.

It's so very hard. He still enjoys helping the staff out he wipes tables after lunch and folds linens for no other reason than he wants to. He wants to be useful and he is. He feeds himself and sometimes he's lucid. When he looks at us there's recognition most of the time but he often doesn't connect.

Some days are better and those make it worth while. I know when he's passed on and is up in Heaven he will know we were there and that's the important part. He will know we kissed and hugged him and told him how much we love him. He will know we are not ashamed of him. Never. I've never been ashamed of him. I can't imagine that. Sadly Mike and I are the only grandchildren that visit. Although my sister in law did once before he was moved to bring my nephews and we've taken one of my nephews to see him. He responds more to the baby(my youngest nephew just turned one). He's always loved children.

So we're coming down to the wire and I wonder how much longer we'll be blessed with my Grandpa. I see the pain in Grandma's face as she sits beside him in front of a window soaking up the sun. She knows that soon he won't be here. I ache for her and for my family and for my Grandpa. I know if he's still aware locked in there that he's hurting just as we are. Aching to hold us and dance and laugh and tell us he loves us. Wishing to speak our names and tell us he hears us. Some people including a select few in our family might say that Grandpa is already gone. I know they're wrong I see him in those tired eyes when he makes a joke only he gets and a glint of mischief flashes through them before vanishing again.

Grandpa has lost a lot of weight despite eating all of his food at every meal. I fear his body once that of the strongest man I knew is starting to give out.

In truth there is no way to describe the fear and heap of other emotions. This is agony that surpasses any physical pain I've ever felt.

I apologize for the long post. I set out to update you guys on Grandpa and I suppose I got a little carried away. I know some of you can probably relate and others may be able to in the future. I pray daily that a cure for Alzheimer's is found. I hope that I can help you all to understand this disease in a different light and someday if you are ever touched by it I hope you can find a little hope from our family's take. Grandpa has and continues to show us all a humility and kindness, an innocence and a love we may not have known otherwise. Not all of you may know that I lived with my grandparents as one of their main caregivers for over 4+ years. In that time I can't tell you what all I learned. Despite it's many trials it was all worth it. I now worry my Grandma will deteriorate quickly once Grandpa goes but I hope we will keep her longer. They were school Sweethearts and are as in love today as ever.

As hard as this is I thank God for the time we have had with Grandpa. Originally when he was diagnosed I was 11 and he was only given a max of seven years. I'm turning 27 and it's been 16 years. It's a miracle.

@chickendreams24
:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

I've been there & will continue to pray for your family. I know how much you love him and am glad that he's still here to hold your hand. Although he may not seem the same, you'll never regret spending time with him now. My 96 yr old neighbor shares this idea: "You'll never truly be gone from this earth as long as there's always someone who remembers you. Their memories of you will live on inside them as they share with others." I find that comforting as I tell my kids stories about my mom. DS turned 5 a few days before she died, so he'll have to share my memories of my mother.

This weekend DH's nephew got married in FL. The young couple has been together for 14 years & finally jumped into marriage. (They wanted to become established before entering marriage..... finish school, masters degrees, have steady jobs, etc. They started dating in early HS, survived a long distance relationship, and even went through a tough health issue.) We wanted to be there but just couldn't afford it.

DH's dad is in the later stages of lymphoma and could not travel, but his mom wanted to go. His dad paid for DH to accompany his mom to FL. That meant dropping her off in Las Vegas to fly to Chicago where we picked her up & had her sleep here overnight. The next day DH & his mom flew to Orlando together. It was wonderful they got the chance to see family. Even the nephew who now lives in Colombia made it to the US for the wedding. The bitter sweet part was seeing how frail his mother had become. She has significant short term memory loss, a very difficult diet, as well as the usual arthritis. What else can we do but love her? The kids were happy to see their grandma. We got another overnight on her way back to Las vegas.

All those 4H crafts came in handy! DH brought them to the wedding & passed them out as gifts. (DD completed 19 projects!) As far as 4H, we're very proud. DD earned 2 red ribbons, 17 blue ribbons, 8 class champions, 1 reserve grand champ, and 3 Best on Shows. She chose to bring the quail project to state, so that's where we'll be on Sat.
IMG_3189.JPG

So those are some of our ups & downs of the past month.

Sorry no chicken pics this time. I'll get around to that soon since the pullets are getting big fast. We also released chicks from their shells to celebrate the big wedding. (!st female was named after the bride & then 1st male = groom's name. LOL) It was just an excuse to hatch again. Most were female, so I hope they sell fast.

@chickendreams24 Sending much needed hugs and prayers your way :hugs .

Thank you very much CC all prayers are very much appreciated and hugs as well. Hugs are just a wonderful thing. :)

@chickendreams24
:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

I've been there & will continue to pray for your family. I know how much you love him and am glad that he's still here to hold your hand. Although he may not seem the same, you'll never regret spending time with him now. My 96 yr old neighbor shares this idea: "You'll never truly be gone from this earth as long as there's always someone who remembers you. Their memories of you will live on inside them as they share with others." I find that comforting as I tell my kids stories about my mom. DS turned 5 a few days before she died, so he'll have to share my memories of my mother.

This weekend DH's nephew got married in FL. The young couple has been together for 14 years & finally jumped into marriage. (They wanted to become established before entering marriage..... finish school, masters degrees, have steady jobs, etc. They started dating in early HS, survived a long distance relationship, and even went through a tough health issue.) We wanted to be there but just couldn't afford it.

DH's dad is in the later stages of lymphoma and could not travel, but his mom wanted to go. His dad paid for DH to accompany his mom to FL. That meant dropping her off in Las Vegas to fly to Chicago where we picked her up & had her sleep here overnight. The next day DH & his mom flew to Orlando together. It was wonderful they got the chance to see family. Even the nephew who now lives in Colombia made it to the US for the wedding. The bitter sweet part was seeing how frail his mother had become. She has significant short term memory loss, a very difficult diet, as well as the usual arthritis. What else can we do but love her? The kids were happy to see their grandma. We got another overnight on her way back to Las vegas.

All those 4H crafts came in handy! DH brought them to the wedding & passed them out as gifts. (DD completed 19 projects!) As far as 4H, we're very proud. DD earned 2 red ribbons, 17 blue ribbons, 8 class champions, 1 reserve grand champ, and 3 Best on Shows. She chose to bring the quail project to state, so that's where we'll be on Sat.
View attachment 1105602

So those are some of our ups & downs of the past month.

Sorry no chicken pics this time. I'll get around to that soon since the pullets are getting big fast. We also released chicks from their shells to celebrate the big wedding. (!st female was named after the bride & then 1st male = groom's name. LOL) It was just an excuse to hatch again. Most were female, so I hope they sell fast.

@Faraday40
I pray for you all always. It's so hard and I know things haven't been easy. Sending hugs your way too. I don't know how to do the cute little emote sorry.

Wow good for DD! That quail project looks like a good read. I wish I could go to the fair and see all of her projects :)

Next I think you guys need a dairy goat and DD should learn to make cheese lol. :)

Finished up the first batch of peaches tonight. By the time they were done along with all the chores and clean up it was past one. It's so much work but the peaches taste like fresh. I don't like store bought canned peaches. Home canned are a whole other ball game. It's so much work but so worth it when you take those jars out and place them out to cool and all of a sudden you hear Pop! And then several more pops. It's a great feeling!

Tomorrow we do more peaches.

This coming weekend is a local fair with a horse show we will be going to watch. It's sort of a family tradition and Sunday the horse show does game day. Including barrel races. The show is open to anyone of any age on any horse or pony. A couple years ago a 3 year old on a mini horse walked the barrels and the applause was thunderous. Lol wish I had a horse. Perhaps I could saddle up our Great Dane ;)

Prayers always for you my friends and thank you all again for the prayers hugs and kindness.

@ChicagoClucker I believe the cream legbars I got last year were from your stock correct? Are you still working with them? Getting white sports?

We hatched a few this year and I need to snap some pics to show you. :) I also have one that is a pullet that must be a mix bc of her coloring but I was sure she should have been pure. But who knows. So far we have only hatched from one of the two roos we kept from you. The more colorful of the two. We wanted chicks from him to see if we should cull him or if he carries good genes. The pullet from him is quite young yet but looks pretty good I think. She also seems cream to my eye at this time.

Does anyone here have experience with Penciled Rocks?
The chick in the center was my only female. (This was out of 12 shipped eggs. Only 5 arrived uncracked. They were wet with egg slime from all the cracked eggs. I was happy to get any chicks.)

Then the female had a foot issue & I made orthopedic shoes. Feet were fine after a couple days.

Here she was about 2-3 wks ago:
I really like her feather pattern. (The SS = Simon's beloved Chizzy)
img_3237-jpg.1096715

The roo in the background is her brother/hatchmate. He's always watching over his gal.
img_3224-jpg.1096714

She's still skittish & not interested in cuddling. I'm hoping she'll calm down in time.

Are penciled rocks a calm breed? I heard good things about Barred Rocks & egg production, so I wanted something similar but a little more fancy. I admit that I haven't worked with her much, but it seems she'd rather wander the yard than come take treats from my hand. Trying to decide if I should keep her.

So now with my limited space & all of the beautiful orps from @Junibutt 's eggs, I must look toward winter & decide which to keep. My orig goal was to reduce the number of orps and replace them with higher production & unique egg color birds. (That's why we got the SS, Welsummer, Spitzhauben,& Penciled rock.) We did sell some of our lav breeders.... but also hatched & held on to some fav lav chicks. DD's goal was to hatch some silkies. Keeping 2 silkies means the our flock's production goes down & the broodiness will go up! Out of the 5 new breeds we tried out only 1 SS & 2 silkies are on the must stay list. So much for my plan to increase egg production!

We have about 35 birds (hens, roos, pullets, & chicks combined) and I need to cut that number in half. The toughest part is that about 25 of those birds are ones we want to keep - like my pretty penciled rock. We really can only keep about 1/2 of what's in our backyard. I got through last winter with 20 but it was mild & 3 were bantams. (So do bantams really count as a whole bird?) Anyway, I don't want to risk overcrowding & boredom, so the kids & I have been having many discussions. DH doesn't know how many birds we have. He sees them come & go and doesn't care as long as I don't get another coop addition.

@chickendreams24
You're tempting me with those peaches. I may have to take another road trip to WI very, very soon. Have fun at the horse show. I've never been to one with barrel racing, but I did see some type of mini carriage racing at the state fair last year.

@Faraday40 your pencil rock is beautiful. Love seeing all the pics, and all the beauties you have. You have some tough choices.

Couple of big things going on over here.
First,
I received wonderful news. I have 2 new grandchildren on the way and at least 1 will be my first granddaughter. I am so excited. Can't wait for all the Pinkness to begin.

Second,
We have been looking for a house for well almost 2 years now. We decided we were going to stay close by for a while because of the kids and grandchildren. Well we finally found a house that we love, but in a town that doesn't allow chickens. I had to make a tough decision and reluctantly, went with the house. Still isn't final yet, waiting upon the inspection before we are a go, but it does mean rehoming my guys. I do have a young girl that will be coming to take 8 Orpingtons this next week. Mostly the newbies. She had came out to pick up some bantam cochins in May, and said if you ever have some Orps available please let her know. She was thrilled when I messaged her.

I am going to miss having the chickens, the cuddles, and the view of all the eye candy.

Back
Top Bottom