Illinois...

We left at 4am for Springfield, walked several miles around the fair, enjoyed the exhibits & fantastic weather, and drove home with not one but TWO state champions. (DD’s friend came along and both girls earned a "superior ribbon" in addition to the regular state fair red/white/blue rosette.) After 4 years of going to the fair in search of poultry, this was the 1st time we were present on the same day as the poultry. (In past years we either couldn’t find the building or the poultry were already sent home.) DS was so excited when he saw another Sp Sussex like his Chizzy and liked naming the different breeds. Because of judging times & project pick up, we had to return to the 4H area every 2 hours, but we managed to see the annual “butter cow” in the dairy building, walk through the animal barns, buy a souvenir in the expo hall, explore the conservation area, and eat a picnic lunch that I had packed. All 3 kids were fast asleep in the backseat for the ride home! Great day!
img_3530-jpg.1110243
img_3497-jpg.1110242
img_3546-jpg.1110250
img_3539-jpg.1110244
img_3553-jpg.1110245
img_3557-jpg.1110246
img_3558-jpg.1110247
img_3564-jpg.1110248

@Junibutt
Took some more pics of the chicks.
Which blk/lav split do you think looks better? What other things should I look for?

This one is more round, smaller, & has a slightly pink comb. (This one I thought might be male- but looking all girl by 8wks) Has a little shine starting.
IMG_3623 copy.jpg

This one's bigger & still pale faced. (Both are +s IMO.) She has some white feather tips below her chest. That & the longer body & tail are my only concerns.
IMG_3626 copy.jpg

Blue laced
She's looking better with age but not fully laced. Does anyone know if it will look better with age or will it take another generation of breeding?
IMG_3625 copy.jpg

Gold laced
This one has the strange eye, so I'm not sure what to do with her. I was orig thinking of keeping her with the silver laced, but the blue laced may be a better option.
IMG_3649 copy.jpg

IMG_3643.JPG

Silver laced
IMG_3653 copy.jpg

Blue Buff Colombian
IMG_3656 copy.jpg

Here are the "Baby Bricks"
IMG_3659 copy.jpg
IMG_3660 copy.jpg

2nd one is 3 weeks older.

Wonderful pics @Faraday40
@ChicagoClucker sorry to hear that you have to sell your flock but glad to hear you found a good place. Good luck with everything. Wish I had room and better health to take your flock.

Meanwhile I rehomed 7 of my Orps yesterday. 5 from the Choc Orp project went to a farm that will take over the project but I wish I had known the conditions of their habitation before I got there. Also if I had read you had someone who was interested in Orps. I would probably have discussed my choc mottled project with them. Oh well its done now. Hoping for the best.

@chickendreams24 glad to see you are back. Also glad that you are close to getting rid of all the rats. We have had two (one in my garage and one visitor) that were bigger than this one but they have been gone for couple of weeks. Apparently someone poisoned all rats and consequentially squirrels in our 4 block radius. Hopefully they don't come back soon.

Believe it or not, the scalped pullet is doing great. She stayed in all this time and is feisty enough to take on all her ex-siblings (except 1). I treated her with turmeric honey and turmeric olive oil mixtures for 5 days and then once she scabbed and was scratching it off, I applied some Neosporin 2 days in a row. The inch and half long wound is now about half and inch or so left. To my surprise, the area where her skull was exposed is also getting covered by the surrounding skin. Will post pictures soon.

@Junibutt
Took some more pics of the chicks.
Which blk/lav split do you think looks better? What other things should I look for?

This one is more round, smaller, & has a slightly pink comb. (This one I thought might be male- but looking all girl by 8wks) Has a little shine starting.
View attachment 1110273
This one's bigger & still pale faced. (Both are +s IMO.) She has some white feather tips below her chest. That & the longer body & tail are my only concerns.
View attachment 1110275

Blue laced
She's looking better with age but not fully laced. Does anyone know if it will look better with age or will it take another generation of breeding?
View attachment 1110274

Gold laced
This one has the strange eye, so I'm not sure what to do with her. I was orig thinking of keeping her with the silver laced, but the blue laced may be a better option.
View attachment 1110276
View attachment 1110281

Silver laced
View attachment 1110277

Blue Buff Colombian
View attachment 1110278

Here are the "Baby Bricks"
View attachment 1110279 View attachment 1110280
2nd one is 3 weeks older.

If anyone has interest in this choc orpington Brownie please message me. She is the 2nd to the last adult orp I have left. Brownie has lost a little bit weight because she is broody but still close to 8 lbs. Turned 1 at the end of July.

Her mother is from a mix of Ewe's Crazy and Fancy Chick lines & the father is a mauve rooster from Sylvia Bland.

Attachments

• Brownie-1.jpg
    Brownie-1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Brownie-2.jpg
    Brownie-2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Brownie-3.jpg
    Brownie-3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2
@Faraday40 your pencil rock is beautiful. Love seeing all the pics, and all the beauties you have. You have some tough choices.

Couple of big things going on over here.
First,
I received wonderful news. I have 2 new grandchildren on the way and at least 1 will be my first granddaughter. I am so excited. Can't wait for all the Pinkness to begin.

Second,
We have been looking for a house for well almost 2 years now. We decided we were going to stay close by for a while because of the kids and grandchildren. Well we finally found a house that we love, but in a town that doesn't allow chickens. I had to make a tough decision and reluctantly, went with the house. Still isn't final yet, waiting upon the inspection before we are a go, but it does mean rehoming my guys. I do have a young girl that will be coming to take 8 Orpingtons this next week. Mostly the newbies. She had came out to pick up some bantam cochins in May, and said if you ever have some Orps available please let her know. She was thrilled when I messaged her.

I am going to miss having the chickens, the cuddles, and the view of all the eye candy.

Wishing you best in your new home. Unfortunately you wont be able to keep chickens, BUT.............................. DON'T JUMP SHIP ON US. You can still help out the NEWBIES that arrive here to this forum continuously. Your knowledge can be very helpful. Also keep us updated on your arriving grandchildren. This forum as you know is not limited to chicken science. Will you be able to keep other pets such as quail, or pigeons.??? If you need anything about pigeons, see me. If you need anything about quail, well, It's no secret where you will ask :).
What will happen to that beautiful coop that your son built for you. Will new owners consider keeping chickens? I suppose it can be repurposed as a storage garden shed.
Best wishes in your move.:thumbsup

Look what I saw walking through the house yesterday:
IMG_3695.JPG

Then when I went outside, I noticed that DD's other silkie was dyed blue! (sidewalk chalk) Poor birds.

DD really spoils them, though. She's always doing chicken chores 1-handed because the other arm is holding a silkie. When she had a sleep-over the other day, the silly silkie stood outside the run cried for DD. Silkie wasn't used to walking into the coop & wanted to be carried.

DS's SS chicken, Chizzy, has healed but looks very weird. I feel that her remaining comb may fall off if she has another incident. DS cried for days out of sympathy for his pretty pullet, but through it all Chizzy laid an egg almost daily. She's a tough bird and now has the looks to prove it.

(We believe this was caused by a young cock in love. Her 2 middle points were broken off.)
img_3686-jpg.1114219

I think in her best interest, it would be better if you clip off the small stub that remains. At least that would be more organized versus a ragged injury she may suffer because of it getting stuck somewhere or pulled off by a roo
DS's SS chicken, Chizzy, has healed but looks very weird. I feel that her remaining comb may fall off if she has another incident. DS cried for days out of sympathy for his pretty pullet, but through it all Chizzy laid an egg almost daily. She's a tough bird and now has the looks to prove it.

(We believe this was caused by a young cock in love. Her 2 middle points were broken off.)
img_3686-jpg.1114219
or frost bite in winter.

Back
Top Bottom