Illinois...

@cavemanrich
Do you remember:
View attachment 1686054 ? ;)

I can probably help you out this year. Main issue is Chicago's winter temps. They're fine in a heated coop but I brought them inside when we had nights with single digit temps - or colder! Our roo is beyond a pampered pet. He spends time with his hens during the day when DD's at school, but spends his nights in the house. DD made him a little cage in her bedroom (for when she's not holding him).
View attachment 1686075
If you get a hen,,,, and not a frazzle or silkied I will see you this Late spring or early summer. :love
Right now my flock is indoors until spring arrives when temps are above freezing.

Guess who went for a walk today?
:lau

img_5228-copy-jpg.1686824

Here's Teddy sporting his chicken harness.
img_5233-copy-jpg.1686825

I don't know who was more confused.... the little roo or all the cars passing by.
:gig

Hello,
We are a chicken-loving family in Aurora, in unincorporated Dupage county. We have a flock of 11 chickens currently and we need to find a good home for 3 of our 4-month old roosters. I've posted a thread in the re-homing section here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-need-a-loving-home-aurora-illinois.1294357/
If any of you can help find these sweet guys a new home or have any other ideas I'd love to hear them. They've been raised as pets, not livestock or meat producers. They are very tame and never aggressive towards humans or our dog.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20190224_170413185.jpg
    IMG_20190224_170413185.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 2
Hi everyone.Southwest Chicago Burbs Someone recommended I start here. I am looking for hatching eggs for the incubator. Just want to get better. Would like chicken eggs ( any kind but would like polish n silkies) and duck eggs as I have both, maybe goose eggs. Not looking to spend a lot and even willing to give back roosters as they are not allowed where I live. If interested let me k. Hopefully travel about 30 minutes from where I-80 and I 57 meet. Thanks Everyone

I moved the older chicks into the brooder this morning.

Here are the 2 seramas that hatched (out of 3 eggs). I think the last egg is dead, but since the orps are now hatching, the incubator will be on for a few more days.

One chick is a day older, but because they're the same color, I can't be sure which one.
img_5295-jpg.1689605
img_5291-jpg.1689604
img_5300-jpg.1689606

Here are the 1st 3 orpingtons:
img_5312-jpg.1689600

1st one to hatch has "eyebrows"

2nd one is "extra fluffy"

3rd one is possible a "dark chocolate"

(We give them nicknames at hatch to identify them. We don't give them a proper name unless we decide to keep them.)

A buff orp from "Cupcake" also hatched, but it will have to wait until tomorrow's chicks are removed. It seems to have a herniated navel, so some extra time resting in the incubator won't be a bad thing. Cupcake is a Buff Colombian Orp, so I'm curious to find out if it will look like the mama.

Today is day 21. 8 eggs left, so more chicks coming......

Although I've hatched a lot of chicks, it just doesn't get old. It's like opening presents on Christmas morning .... so much fun & excitement to finally see what's inside.

Thank you. I've had quite a bit of interest in them. I want to make sure they go to a good home and they will continue to be well-cared and loved.
Yes, they are described in more detail in the re-homing thread.
I went to deliver Chuck, Cookie and Pumpkin this morning to someone that wanted them, but I didn't leave them. Although this family had a very nice 10-acre property, the owners did not take good care of their own chickens, or other pets at all; In fact, I was very disappointed and sad from what I saw. Almost every chicken I saw there seemed to have frostbite and all had damaged combs. Their two dogs were kept only outside and not allowed in the house. We would really hate for our sweet roos to suffer through this cold weather, and lose their full and deep red combs or get frostbite on their feet.
Again, if anyone is interested in my birds, please be sure that you have the proper setup to keep chickens in this climate...To me, keeping chickens in an area where the temperatures drop below freezing for several days at a time, whether in an outdoor makeshift coop or a well-built one; without some sort of heat (even just a heat lamp or two) is just cruel. I'm sure there are people that will say to this "they're just chickens", those are the people that have no business having any, and will not get mine.

3 more chicks hatched to add to the brooder:

Here's our Buff Colombian Orp's chick. Not sure what color to call it. Kind of a smokey yellow - hints of gray. The color makes me wonder if our lav orp is the dad.... but the "ugly-awkward" appearance is telling me she's 1/2 laced orp. (I really love my beautiful laced orps, but man, do they go through a rough & awkward adolescence!)
CC chick 1.jpg
CC chick 2.jpg cc chick 3.jpg

Next hatched an egg from my blue SL Orp.
BSLO 1.jpg
BSLO 2.jpg BSLO 3.jpg

Sometime in the middle of the night, Jewel's egg hatched. I think it might be a mauve, but it could also be a blue orp.
Blue 1.jpg

Blue 2.jpg

...and Here's a comparison pic of my 1st & last hatched. The serama is 3 days older. The orp doesn't have the leg strength to run around yet, so it's laying down. The serama is standing tall next to it.
Blue 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom