Illinois...

@Faraday40 i forgot to tell you, it looks like the other chick is feathering in white. Looks like I've got another double white recessive! Now, i wonder who the daddy is?:confused: Do you know if Mr. Dummy carried a copy of the white that he could have passed down to blackjack and then to blackbeard? Or would a second white gene come from my slo roo? So him and snow would make a double white?:idunno

I'd love to see pics, please.
:love
I got a couple whites too. All came from Jewel who I know carries it. She's been with both roos. One had the typical cinnamon color of a mauve & feathered in white. (That's how my recessive whites usually go.) I think that chick's from the lav orp roo x Jewel. The other two chicks looked mostly yellow at hatch - like big, chubby leghorn chicks - and also feathered in white. I never had orps like that before, so I'm thinking perhaps the laced roo could be daddy.

Jewel can give Mauve, Black, Blue, Lav, & White chicks. If Blackjack came from her x Mr Dummy, then yes, he could carry but not express it. (same goes for choc & lav) The way to know for sure is by breeding & hatching.

The black/lav split rooster I used last summer (while waiting for a lav son to grow up) carried the recessive white. Since I got a white in my June hatch, it means my current lav roo inherited it. It also means the chicks I hatched last summer may also carry it.

Then I learned recently that SLOs may often carry a couple gold dilution genes to make the white look white (not gold/cream). So if your SLO boy bred the hen, then a white chick could also be possible.

I find this fun and love to look up all the different combos. Sometimes it's frustrating not hatching the color you thought, but I prefer a little variety in my orp chicks. Of course by keeping only orp roos, I can just hatch the orp eggs. Teddy (serama roo) sleeps in DD's room as her pet and is literally carried out to the tractor to play with his bantam hens each day. DD's far too protective to allow him to free range.

Had a fun on Sat visiting @chickendreams24

We dropped off some poultry, shaved DS's head, played with bunnies, picked strawberries, and had a picnic before heading off to visit DH's parents. A great day but very hot!

Today I spent hours washing, hulling, freezing, and cooking strawberries. I left about 6c unwashed in the fridge to eat. However, DD had some friends over & the kids ate about 6-7 cups of my cleaned, sliced strawberries before I could freeze them. LOL

IMG_7817.JPG IMG_7797.JPG IMG_7824.JPG
IMG_7832.JPG IMG_7834.JPG

Its nearly 11pm, the power is finally back on, chickens and ducks are in bed, chores are done and i think most of the kids have had baths....wherever they are. My skin is itching and my upper back where the shingles is aching, so I am done with this day!

@Faraday40 I'll snap some pictures of that white recessive chick tomorrow. Shes been traumatized enough for the day. I accidentally set the food bowl down on top of her this morning as i was cleaning it up. I kept hearing a "cheep, cheep, CHEEEEPPP!" I thought it was the new micro chick, but she was out and running around. Yeah, poor little chick under the food bowl with brothers and sisters running everywhere. I scooped her up and loves on her for a moment. Then i tormented them all with the shop vac trying to suck up flies that have inundated my garage due to no one being able to close a door!
So tomorrow. I'll torture them with pictures tomorrow. :)

And baby chicks for sale I'm in central illonois

:welcome
I'm not Near you (in Chicagoland suburbs), but we have English Orpingtons (very big & beautiful) and some decent seramas - some are silkied. Basically we have the 2 extremes. Very large & very small breeds. We've had plenty of people from neighboring states stop by during a road trip to buy chicks.

@homeschoolin momma breeds Silver Appenzeller Spitzhaubens, but I don't know if she has any for sale right now.

You'll probably be able to find chicks local to your area, but you can always click on a person's icon and then click "start a conversation" to write a PM (private message) to find out more info.

It's a very fun time researching all the many breeds to find the perfect one for you. If you need help getting started just share what traits you're looking for and the main reasons you want chickens. The members here can help point you in the right direction and share their fav breeds.

Of course when you do get some chicks, please post some pics here so we can enjoy the fluffies with you. Everyone loves pics!

And here are the pictures I promised.
The cinnamon chick
20190701_135307.jpg
20190701_135314.jpg
20190701_135325.jpg
And a few of my new micro chicken. She's got some of her mum's color, dad's feet and comb, and feathering on her shanks and one toe like mum.
20190701_135348.jpg
20190701_135358.jpg
20190701_135442.jpg

I have a feeling all of my micro chickens will have the silkie feathers since Jasper carries that gene and Phoenix is a silkie/serama.

And here are the pictures I promised.
The cinnamon chick
View attachment 1831505 View attachment 1831506 View attachment 1831507 And a few of my new micro chicken. She's got some of her mum's color, dad's feet and comb, and feathering on her shanks and one toe like mum.View attachment 1831512 View attachment 1831513 View attachment 1831514
I have a feeling all of my micro chickens will have the silkie feathers since Jasper carries that gene and Phoenix is a silkie/serama.
I think there's only a 25% chance of getting a smooth feathered, but 100% chance of getting very tiny, adorable chicks. Anytime you see the wing feathers look like "paintbrushes" - like the one above - you've got a silkied.

Looking at you chick's legs & beak color, I think your laced orp is the daddy (and a choc, blue, black or lav could be the mama.) The SLO roo probably carries some dilution genes to make some of his offspring white. My lavs, blacks, blues all have black/gray legs, beak, feet. The SLOs have a slight gray wash at hatch that turns white as they age. Also, as the chick matures you may be able to look at the head & body shape and be able to see traits of the roos. My lavs have a more angled, slender head with a slightly larger comb, & the SLOs are more rounded in the face with short combs that make it difficult to sex. (The SLO face shape can sometimes make them look grumpy.)

Anyway, if female, breeding this one back to a good quality SLO roo could bring back the lacing in the next generation. It's something to think about if you have the room to grow her out over the winter & try next spring. If the white chick is male, then I think you'd be better to keep your current, handsome boy.

Today I put Cookie & her remaining chicks in the backyard. Her lav cockerel (the biggest male & head chick) saw all the other chickens and thought he'd start working his way up the pecking order. He & the spitz boy sometimes run toward each other, jump, & chest bump in the air. With all the new open space I guess he was feeling rather playful. The lav boy ran toward our 7 yr old Easter Egger hen. (Top hen who's fearless and no one dares challenge!) He jumped up just before reaching her but quickly started pedaling backwards while in the air. It looked like roadrunner from Looney Tunes trying to apply the brakes. She must have given him the evil eye. He quickly ran away back toward his mama and siblings, then ran past them, up the ramp, into the coop, across the floor, and hopped into a nest box to hide. I literally started laughing out loud. She's simply the wrong hen to mess with. The hen, however, didn't even flinch or miss a step. She continued walking along at the same steady pace.

:gig
This is the lav cockerel:
img_7974-jpg.1831734

This is the old hen:
tyrion-cold-jpg.1831678

Back
Top Bottom