Illinois...

Tough days around here! I've had two of my new chicks in as many days have sudden death. :hitI could see no reason other than perhaps the heat being a contributing factor. I've pulled in all the young chicks, along with Peggy cochin who took them all under wing, inside. It is literally a zoo inside my house. All I need is a giraffe to make things complete.
Sorry for your loss. No let up in the heat anytime soon.

I had a hen with 4 eggs due today. Yesterday I seen some smashed eggs in front of her. She was in the back of a short pen, so I had to crawl in. 1 dead beat up wet chick with bloody shell... and 1 beat up cracked egg with a live chick :barnie which I put in the incubator. It was still alive this morning and I helped it out. Seems ok, time will tell.
first killer Mama, I am aware of.... but I think she's the same one last year had a similar mess and I thought she accidentally smashed eggs..at least she is the same color, white CX mix, in same pen... she will get a bunch of leg bands. Another egg was a broken clear and 1 more still under her, but it was oily so I think it's a dud.

I had a hen with 4 eggs due today. Yesterday I seen some smashed eggs in front of her. She was in the back of a short pen, so I had to crawl in. 1 dead beat up wet chick with bloody shell... and 1 beat up cracked egg with a live chick :barnie which I put in the incubator. It was still alive this morning and I helped it out. Seems ok, time will tell.
first killer Mama, I am aware of.... but I think she's the same one last year had a similar mess and I thought she accidentally smashed eggs..at least she is the same color, white CX mix, in same pen... she will get a bunch of leg bands. Another egg was a broken clear and 1 more still under her, but it was oily so I think it's a dud.
So sorry about the messy losses. My Jewel is a very big clumsy hen. She often squishes chicks & breaks eggs. Once they're hatched, she's a fine mama. I usually only give her 1-2 eggs to keep her broody - even though she could easily fit 18. She can sometimes be weird when chicks are hatching - like one time she left the nest in January while they're zipping with temps in single digits.

So sorry about the messy losses. My Jewel is a very big clumsy hen. She often squishes chicks & breaks eggs. Once they're hatched, she's a fine mama. I usually only give her 1-2 eggs to keep her broody - even though she could easily fit 18. She can sometimes be weird when chicks are hatching - like one time she left the nest in January while they're zipping with temps in single digits.
Not good leaving pips when it's cold.
I traded a turkey for tomatoes because she kept leaving the pips the first year and then the poults wandered off to others because she kept sitting after they hatched... she left the kids the second year.

I got a new layer. 'Parmesan' (Chicken) is a serama hatched this spring. Her comb has been red and I found this in the serama pen. it's about the size of a small grape.

Top = new serama egg (from Parm)
Middle = Sebright egg
Bottom = Welsummer

IMG_4185.JPG

Here's what Parmesan looks like today:
IMG_4223.JPG

Updated poult pics for @Molpet . They're getting bigger. I think the brown is a female and both whites could be male. One white is a little more red in face & is slightly bigger. The brown is more petite. (Names: whites = Thanksgiving & Christmas, & brown = Giblets)
IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4235 (2).JPG
IMG_4238 (2).JPG

DS saying Good Bye to his duckies. They went back home to @BReeder!
IMG_4217.JPG

Xansie still has plenty of chicks left.
IMG_4212.JPG

Teddy rockin' his new look. (Another spa day from DD.)
IMG_4234.JPG
IMG_4248.JPG

Mr Potential.... just because he always runs up an poses for me. (Technically he's looking for treats, but when he looks that good, I just have to take a pic!)
IMG_4199.JPG

The 1st time she went broody was with a silkie. They made a great team & we had no losses. The 2nd time was when she left the eggs in winter while hatching. (That's how @homeschoolin momma got her Phoenix. The poor chick was lifeless and DD revived her with a hairdryer. Phoenix lived but lost her toes due to frostbite from the incident.

I learned that I must not give Jewel any 'good' or expensive eggs. I must also remove them for hatching and replace with chicks. About an hour after she's given a chick, I move her to a brooder where she won't have to climb in & out of nest.

Well, i caught the racoon thats been making messes around my spitzie coop. Looks young. My 16 year old just asked me if we could make an enclosure and train it.🙄 I went off to volunteer at my church and run to the store. Someone had better figure out what they are doing with it by the time I get home.
Glad you got him
I got one yesterday and today..both big males

Back
Top Bottom