Illinois...

Comet is still setting so I'm certain she is broody. I think she has 2 more eggs now so should be about 6. I should not have mentioned to DW, she wants to let her hatch chicks. I've had enough chickening for this year. I will have to find a way for DW to help then.
Need to mark the eggs she has so you don't get a staggered hatch and waste the eggs

Need to mark the eggs she has so you don't get a staggered hatch and waste the eggs
Good idea. I didn't plan on a broody this year and haven't researched anything yet. I wanted to do this next year. Very inconsiderate of this chicken lol.
Honestly I have enough chickens this year. I might just let her do her thing good or bad.
I have some reading to do lol. I wanted to get a flock of sustainable meat chickens and next year hatch those eggs. Predicament! :barnie:he:th

Good idea. I didn't plan on a broody this year and haven't researched anything yet. I wanted to do this next year. Very inconsiderate of this chicken lol.
Honestly I have enough chickens this year. I might just let her do her thing good or bad.
I have some reading to do lol. I wanted to get a flock of sustainable meat chickens and next year hatch those eggs. Predicament! :barnie:he:th
If you have fertile eggs, just mark them with a Sharpie (pencil rubs off) and put them next to her. She'll grab them & roll them under her body. If you don't care about the chicks, then only give her about 4 eggs. Enough that she has some to spare in case of infertility or accident. You don't want her to have just one chick, nor do you want 12 more beaks to feed.

I don't recommend buying expensive eggs. There's a chance it won't work out, so better to use what you've got. If they grow up to be female, you can sell them as future layers. Hang on to the male chicks for future dinner.

I would suggest you give her three eggs. Three will allow for one failure and won’t leave a “singleton” at weaning time. Mark them on the two ends (marks in the middle may get rubbed off during incubation). Make sure to check the nest daily for extra eggs. If she is in a nest box that is frequently used by others, it would be worth the effort to move her. If left, the eggs may be broken by too much traffic in the nest.
If you let her hatch a brood this year and she is a good mother, you know she could be a good mom next year for your “special” eggs.
Broody hens are so much fun to watch as they teach the chicks how to be a chicken. Listen to your wife...you know she’s right. ;)

If you want some of my part CX eggs let know

I would suggest you give her three eggs. Three will allow for one failure and won’t leave a “singleton” at weaning time. Mark them on the two ends (marks in the middle may get rubbed off during incubation). Make sure to check the nest daily for extra eggs. If she is in a nest box that is frequently used by others, it would be worth the effort to move her. If left, the eggs may be broken by too much traffic in the nest.
If you let her hatch a brood this year and she is a good mother, you know she could be a good mom next year for your “special” eggs.
Broody hens are so much fun to watch as they teach the chicks how to be a chicken. Listen to your wife...you know she’s right. ;)
She is in the favorite nest box. I spent the whole day clearing the chicken items out of my garage :idunno...... its probably a good idea to separate her, back into the garage :hit

Back
Top Bottom