Illinois...

Cocci may be more prevalent this year. Has anyone else had cases?

Three days ago I noticed what looked like bloody poops in a brooder (with hen). No other symptoms, but I put some Corid in the water anyway. Last night one chick looked a little slowed, so I'm glad I acted when I did. So far, all are alive and the smallest one is still eating - drinking. They'll need another 2 days of meds, and then we'll see how the little one is.

This is the 1st time I ever saw the typical bloody stools of Cocci. I've only given Corid a few times (out of hundreds of chicks hatched over 8 years). Each time I was never fully sure if it was cocci or just me being cautious. This year I'm pretty sure I saw bloody poops for 2 days, and now those are gone. They are with a broody hen, which is supposed to give them more immunity. (With so many broody hens here, I rarely raise chicks without one.) Perhaps the wet spring and current heat are conditions in which cocci can thrive. Does anyone know?

Earlier this week & last week we had more flies than usual.
They say. . and happen to my poults..is when it's hot and humid. Last year I just started corrid when it got like this and didn't see any poults get ill...so far no chicks have gotten ill, so it's something that effects poults more I guess

Faraday40

Do you feed the medicated chick starter?
No. The reg, non-medicated chick feed is much easier to find in 50lb bags. (Our Farm & Fleet only carries the medicated chick feed in small 5lb bags. That won't work for me.) Plus, why feed them something you don't need?

Since I hatch a lot of chicks, I do keep some Corid powder in my chicken 1st aid kit..... just in case. Former customers & neighbors always call me when they have worries. If I suspect Cocci, I'll give them a couple tablespoons of Corid. It's not like I've ever come close to finishing a package before it expires.

Faraday I have seen tons of flies last few weeks. Wish I had the cicadas you guys had.

Found a good article here for broody hen so hopefully a dozen questions you guys don't have to answer lol.
I caught then hen eating and numbered all 7 eggs. Added some straw because she was almost on wood.the eggs should certainly be fertile, I see the bullseye on almost all eggs I eat. But being my first hatch (and hers) I expect a roughly 60% survival. I am going to leave her in the flock and just remove eggs every 2 or 3 days.
View attachment 2235542
If your hen is not aggressive, you can check under her daily & remove any newly added eggs. Mine are all bark and no bite, so that's what I do. If your eggs are fertile you may get a lot more than 60%.

Below's a thread where people ask all kinds of broody hen questions. It helped me out several times. Of course, please continue to let us know your progress here too. We love pics, questions, and updates.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread.457488/

I was under the impression that coccidiosis was something that they would develop immunity to once past the critical chick period.??? :idunno
Oh there are many strains of cocci, some of them can kill wicked fast. I have a pretty virulent strain show up in cold wet weather. I always start my chicks on medicated feed, they can get immunity later when they're big enough to have a fighting chance.

She allows sleep overs I guess lol. Momma still knows how to party?
20200709_224952.jpg

Last week 2 seramas hatched out with the modern game bantams. I didn't set the eggs, but rather some sneaky hens put them into the nest. I didn't discover them for a few days, so I left them. ....Of course both serama eggs hatched but I only got 2 MGB

I got a typical yellow chick. (I tend to only get 3 chick colors: yellow, white, & chipmunk.)

Here's what yellow looks like today:
IMG_4486.JPG

But look at these crazy wings!
I've never seen this color pattern from mine yet.
IMG_4485.JPG

Back
Top Bottom