Illinois...

Looks kind of like a turkey egg. LOL

Your Welsummer doesn't look like she's ready. (but my Welsummer does have lots of speckles - but on a darker egg)

Your Barnevelder or Marans will likely lay dark speckled eggs. Perhaps the hen just had an odd egg since she's starting out.

I have a couple orpingtons that lay speckled eggs. Usually from the same hen.
My guess is one of the wyandottes
My GLW sometimes gives an egg like that.

So I guess the top options are one of the Wyandottes or my Marans had an off day? She did not lay today (unless that was hers) but all 4 of hers so far have been much darker than this one. It just might kill me waiting for another one to try and catch someone in the box. I knew for sure with the other 2 who was laying because they made it super obvious. This little chicken is making me do the work.

So I guess the top options are one of the Wyandottes or my Marans had an off day? She did not lay today (unless that was hers) but all 4 of hers so far have been much darker than this one. It just might kill me waiting for another one to try and catch someone in the box. I knew for sure with the other 2 who was laying because they made it super obvious. This little chicken is making me do the work.
Probably a Wyandotte
..... unless you had a random turkey hen visit your yard. :lau

8 hours later
20200804_091840.jpg

These GC have some serious shells

Now my main question is should I raise these chicks then integrate or give to momma right away? Momma is already up and about with the other chicks. The other chicks are a week old already.
If you want to try to integrate, it's best to do sooner than later. Also helps to add new chick at night when mama is sitting in one place. Less likely to peck if they spend the night together. I often do this in a storage tub in the house, so I can hear if there are any problems. (Mama may peck at baby as an intruder. Some hens will adopt easily, others will only adopt chicks placed under them at time of hatch. Attack all other chicks.)

If grafting doesn't work, then you'll have to raise chick yourself.

Back
Top Bottom