Illinois...

2 of 4 incubated chicks hatched. DW and DD got to watch whole thing.
One of these might be a Black Australorp/ Gold Lace Wyandotte mix. Found a picture and really hope I have one now.

Watching the broody hen was kind of a relief. I was always so stressed about everything being perfect. Watching momma hen reminded me chickens have been laying eggs and raising chicks long before we decided to incubate them. And these little things are still fragile but much more durable than I give them credit for. Dont worry, I will still strive for perfection in raising chicks, just not stress about it.

Homemade cones. Hopefully they work well. Will find out Saturday. 2 are of 5 gallon bucket and 1 is just a rolled up mud flap.
20200806_150816.jpg

Homemade cones. Hopefully they work well. Will find out Saturday. 2 are of 5 gallon bucket and 1 is just a rolled up mud flap.
View attachment 2279278
Creative ideas. I may now try to make my own. Are you going to nail it to something?

I only process an occasional chicken when needed, so for me it's usually an empty feed bag with the bottom corner removed - plus my DH helping hold while looking away trying not to faint. I know he'd appreciate it if I could find a way to do it without his help. Of course it's not the sort of thing that you'd call a suburban neighbor over to help. Except for @homeschoolin momma . We had a little processing party last fall when she had too many cockerels running around.

Creative ideas. I may now try to make my own. Are you going to nail it to something?

I only process an occasional chicken when needed, so for me it's usually an empty feed bag with the bottom corner removed - plus my DH helping hold while looking away trying not to faint. I know he'd appreciate it if I could find a way to do it without his help. Of course it's not the sort of thing that you'd call a suburban neighbor over to help. Except for @homeschoolin momma . We had a little processing party last fall when she had too many cockerels running around.
I want to try the feed bag. The cone was just too hard for me to hold with all the flapping.

Ummm the cone is supposed to be secured to something. Put the bird in, slice or remove head, walk away and get the next one. . repeat
At my house i have a post, but at Faradays we didn't but i brought my chicken cone with my big pot for scalding. But even just holding the cone (like i was the post) the birds were still flapping and coming up and out of the cone. It was a mess. Not doing it that way again.

At my house i have a post, but at Faradays we didn't but i brought my chicken cone with my big pot for scalding. But even just holding the cone (like i was the post) the birds were still flapping and coming up and out of the cone. It was a mess. Not doing it that way again.
:gig yeah I don't think a person makes a good post. Feed bag would be better in that case.

Yes I am going to screw to a shelf in the garage so the rest of the chickens dont see and get stressed out. Though I doubt they'll care anyway.
I've been looking forward to and dreading this coming Saturday. Will be nice to see the project finished.
So far everything has gone great, surprisingly. Lost 1 as a chick and none since. I probably have a few 9 pounders running around. I cant wait to give numbers.

I saw a homesteader (justin rhodes) on YouTube just hang a rope and tie around the feet to hang. Probably better than holding it? I have some wire hanging in the garage(was for adjustable heat lamp) I might try.

Back
Top Bottom