Illinois...

@BReeder! Then how do you store the stock? I tried freezing it in qt jars but it broke, even with a 3" headspace and cooled to room temp or in fridge first. The meat goes in freezer bags, obviously? Thanks.
I freeze the stock in gallon sized freezer bags. Quart bags would work too. Make sure they are freezer bags though and have a double seal.
I strain the stock while warm and then let it cool a but in a large mixing bowl. It doesn't have to be room temp, but you don't want to melt the plastic bag. I then freeze the bag/s flat in the freezer - easier said then done in my packed freezer but a previous slab of frozen stock or a box if pizza or pancakes works as a flat enough surface if you cannot set it flat on a shelf. If you don't want fat in your stock, you could cool the bowl in the fridge before bagging. This causes the fat to solidify on the surface so you can pull it off. Personally, I leave that fat for flavor.

Fresh eggs from the coop and homemade bacon. Breakfast doesn't get much better.
20201124_091145.jpg

I freeze the stock in gallon sized freezer bags. Quart bags would work too. Make sure they are freezer bags though and have a double seal.
I strain the stock while warm and then let it cool a but in a large mixing bowl. It doesn't have to be room temp, but you don't want to melt the plastic bag. I then freeze the bag/s flat in the freezer - easier said then done in my packed freezer but a previous slab of frozen stock or a box if pizza or pancakes works as a flat enough surface if you cannot set it flat on a shelf. If you don't want fat in your stock, you could cool the bowl in the fridge before bagging. This causes the fat to solidify on the surface so you can pull it off. Personally, I leave that fat for flavor.
Brilliant, thanks, I will use bags in the future. I have issues digesting fat so I usually do cool it in the stockpot and skim most of it off. I will freeze the bags on cookie sheets. Thanks again.

Yes, I did use wide mouth canning jars. I like the freezer bag option, will do that, thanks.
I learned looooooooooooong ago that glass container are a no--go in the freezer.:hit
You already got the answer above to use the plastic bags. :thumbsup I don't freeze stock, but do save and freeze whey, when I make cheese. I just hate to waste it, and it is a good addition when making soups. I just use sandwich size bags, since they are just smaller portions. I also freeze spaghetti sauce when opening a large container. Takes a while to consume large quantities for us. This way it doesn't go south.
BReeder, you can tell I had no way to lay these flat..:old
I just grabbed this out of the freezer for the pix. Picture paints a 1000 words:frow
BTW,,,,, Welcome to this side of the Mighty MISSISSIPPI,,:thumbsup With winter on our heels, maybe you can direct some of that milder weather up north for me.
IMG_20201124_115656949.jpg

I learned looooooooooooong ago that glass container are a no--go in the freezer.:hit
You already got the answer above to use the plastic bags. :thumbsup I don't freeze stock, but do save and freeze whey, when I make cheese. I just hate to waste it, and it is a good addition when making soups. I just use sandwich size bags, since they are just smaller portions. I also freeze spaghetti sauce when opening a large container. Takes a while to consume large quantities for us. This way it doesn't go south.
BReeder, you can tell I had no way to lay these flat..:old
I just grabbed this out of the freezer for the pix. Picture paints a 1000 words:frow
BTW,,,,, Welcome to this side of the Mighty MISSISSIPPI,,:thumbsup With winter on our heels, maybe you can direct some of that milder weather up north for me.View attachment 2423581
Oh, I had not thought to save spaghetti or pizza sauce this way, duh!! Thank you! Ooh, exploding horizons! Leftover beans??? Hmmm....🤔

Edit. I sure am having to fix a lot of typos lately. Not sure which brain is having all the brain farts, the one in my skull or the one in my hand. Uffda!

Last edited:
Work it constantly how, please? Do you knead it? Cut it? Slice it? What seasonings? Bake at what temp for how long? Rookie cooks w inquiring minds gotta know this stuff, oh great and mighty Godfatha of Toikey!
Lol Most knead it. Chicken and turkey meat proteins have enzymes that break it down and it becomes sticky. I rarely go by recipe sorry. I do it once then it's what I feel like from then on and is rarely the same (except for my homemade caramel, religiously follow recipe). I'd say bake 325° for 40 minutes but check internally because of course that depends on weight. Dont have to cut it, just keep folding and twisting and massaging and after 10 minutes or so it will start to get sticky.
I am happy to share the idea and general info but for specifics you will need to do your own research.
I hope you enjoy it.

I tried turkey stock last year and didn't care for it. I'll stick to chicken stock
I'm the opposite. I prefer turkey stock over chicken stock. I even will take bones from my parents' house on Thanksgiving or Christmas to make stock later. I also just make random stock sometimes. I recall one I made that had ham bone, duck feet and bacon rind. The other day I made stock from the turkeys and duck together.

Speaking of stock, I will have to grab some photos as I break down the four turkeys I picked up today. I'll be making plenty of stock tomorrow. I might have to use the propane turkey fryer as a stock pot.

Back
Top Bottom