Illinois...

DH & I attempted to cover the giant cherry bush Used 3 king sized sheets and clothes pins. Only could reach the bottom 2/3 and went less than 1/2 way around. It looks hideous Perhaps some fruit will be saved. (Looks like someone was really inadequate when they tried to TP the front yard..... and since no one would waste TP during Covid, mismatched sheets were used)

The baby cherry bush has 1 king sized sheet over it. That worked well to cover top and most off sides. Of course it’s only a few years old so won’t bear much fruit anyway. We literally had 3 blossoms last year and a few doz this year

They removed snow from the forecast!!! Yes!!!

Let's hope the weather person is right about this. Still getting cold at 29F tomorrow night and 28F Wednesday night, which will mean frost after the rain tomorrow but that's still better than snow.
Well that weather person was wrong... It's snowing. 😪

Here too. Do peach and pear take much work? I want to add some fruit trees but am always short on time.
I haven't done much to my peach tree. I will need to prune it this winter. That should take 15 minutes. I might spray it if I still see fruit development after this snow and frost. Spraying is optional though and doesn't take but a few seconds if the sprayer is already filled.

When you buy for trees make sure they are self pollinating or you will need a pollinator tree. Also, check out the fruit cocktail trees - they grat multiple fruit varieties to one tree. They cost more, but are a neat option for variety and less trees.

Here too. Do peach and pear take much work? I want to add some fruit trees but am always short on time.
Yes peach needs regular spraying . Pear can get by with little to no spraying . You will get some misshapen fruit due to bugs . You need fireblight resistant trees . Some are self pollinating which is a plus if you only want 1 pear tree . Ayers and Kiefer fit the bill and probably more .

Yes peach needs regular spraying . Pear can get by with little to no spraying . You will get some misshapen fruit due to bugs . You need fireblight resistant trees . Some are self pollinating which is a plus if you only want 1 pear tree . Ayers and Kiefer fit the bill and probably more .
@jerryse what is your preferred spray for peach trees? Somebody told me neem oil mixed with insecticidal soap and then dilute in water.

I'm in central Illinois...Decatur to be exact!

I have Amercuana bantams (they are out of show/breeder quality lines) in black, white, blue and pencilled buffs and Black, Blue Salmon and Salmon Faverolle Bantams.

Chicks, started chicks and adults are offered for sale occasionally.
I live in a small-ish town (Kewanee) about 45 minutes from Peoria. My family and I a dozen Trace Adkins and we a lot of gardening vegetable and flower.

Back
Top Bottom