Illinois...

So time to pursue homeschooling. @homeschoolin momma any tips on where to start? Tired of DD forced to watch CNN in one of her classes anyway and this email is very concerning.
20210512_114341.jpg

So time to pursue homeschooling. @homeschoolin momma any tips on where to start? Tired of DD forced to watch CNN in one of her classes anyway and this email is very concerning.
View attachment 2665351
Wow. Just wow.

I began homeschooling when my 1st was in 2nd grade after they wouldnt accomodate his boredom at school. I continuednuntilnhe completed 10th and then he went back.

I started by first attending our state homeschool convention. It was held every year in June and had classes you could go to as well as used buy back book area where you could buy used curriculm. Vendors for different homeschool programs were also there, such as Abeka, sonlight, ace. There are different types of homeschooling. Classical, Charlotte Mason, standard box textbook kind. You would have to google and do your research on the different types.

It's hardwork, but rewarding. Socialization was never an issue as my kids played sports, went to church and had their siblings and parents were their positive mature role models......most of the time.😏

View attachment 2665351
"how dare they check up on their students to see whether they're struggling. The audacity to let kids identify the way they please :((( they're brainwashing us!!! those stupid liberals. we can't let them perpetuate their unorthodox values onto our impressionable kids. "

@WhyDoILikeChickens

The home-school families I know belong to various co-ops where the parents would share ideas and have social outings. They would often get together 1-4xs per month. Now that we're in the age of Covid, the ability to take classes online has dramatically increased. This would help out in areas where you may not feel as comfortable teaching. There are many curriculums available so you can pick which works best for your child's learning style. Attending a home-school convention is a good start. Also, try to find the names of the home-school co-ops in your area. Sitting in on a meeting or 2 and talking with the other parents will help you make an informed decision.

I taught a home-school science class after my oldest was born. (I left my teaching career to be a stay-at-home mom.) A few of my friends already had school-age kids and were home-schooling for religious reasons. They regularly asked me for help with science, so it was a natural step for me to start small science classes in my family room. Win-win. I got to teach, meet new families, the kids had fun, and I earned some pocket money. Word spread until I found myself with multiple weekly classes and then 4-5 summer science camps every year! I scaled down to only 2 co-ops after my second child was born and am semi-retired now. I still do special visits and some park district classes/events.

As far as the school district message, that just seems odd. No one asks your sexual orientation or gender identification for a job interview. Businesses would be sued if they tried. Why would the school district need to know such things? If a child needs support from the school, then the family has the right to request help. (Plus as a former middle school teacher, I know some of those "anonymous" surveys will be purposely filled out in a manner that a mischievous middle schooler would find entertaining.)

Last edited:
@WhyDoILikeChickens

The home-school families I know belong to various co-ops where the parents would share ideas and have social outings. They would often get together 1-4xs per month. Now that we're in the age of Covid, the ability to take classes online has dramatically increased. This would help out in areas where you may not feel as comfortable teaching. There are many curriculums available so you can pick which works best for your child's learning style. Attending a home-school convention is a good start. Also, try to find the names of the home-school co-ops in your area. Sitting in on a meeting or 2 and talking with the other parents will help you make an informed decision.

I taught a home-school science class after my oldest was born. (I left my teaching career to be a stay-at-home mom.) A few of my friends already had school-age kids and were home-schooling for religious reasons. They regularly asked me for help with science, so it was a natural step for me to start small science classes in my family room. Win-win. I got to teach, meet new families, the kids had fun, and I earned some pocket money. Word spread until I found myself with multiple weekly classes and then 4-5 summer science camps every year! I scaled down to only 2 co-ops after my second child was born and am semi-retired now. I still do special visits and some park district classes/events.

As far as the school district message, that just seems odd. No one asks your sexual orientation or gender identification for a job interview. Businesses would be sued if they tried. Why would the school district need to know such things? If a child needs support from the school, then the family has the right to request help. (Plus as a former middle school teacher, I know some of those "anonymous" surveys will be purposely filled out in a matter that a mischievous middle schooler would find entertaining.)
I know DW could do it but she doesn't think so.
Its insane the damage schools are doing with this social experiment

"how dare they check up on their students to see whether they're struggling. The audacity to let kids identify the way they please :((( they're brainwashing us!!! those stupid liberals. we can't let them perpetuate their unorthodox values onto our impressionable kids. "
I identity as your god king. Does that make it so?
I was at a BBQ and this 4yo kid thought he could fly, are the parents stupid because they stopped him from jumping off of a cliff? We decide as a society that kids aren't mature enough to make decisions about tobacco and alcohol yet a 10yo can destroy themselves with voluntary genital mutilation......... are there unicorns in the alternate reality where that makes sense, because it sounds like a place with unicorns .

Back
Top Bottom