Illinois...

Right now I am overrun with eggs and been busy canning things from the garden. I canned over 70 jars so far and there's more produce on the counter right now that needs to get processed. In the meantime I need to see about my sister taking eggs for all the baking she does.
I've been meaning to ask you, what is the recipe for canning your pickles? I've never canned before but we LOVE pickles and I want to try with all the cucumbers from our garden. We like dill pickles, not the sweet ones. I've been looking for recipes but I don't want to commit the time to make something we won't like.

@jdragonwings
You should try to pickle eggs also. They are good once you wrap your head around "pickle" and "egg"! Easy to make and a good way to preserve eggs for long storage.
I'm really wanting to try the lime preservation method, once we start having extra eggs...
We've got 12 chickens; bought as day old chicks this spring. So far we have 3 laying eggs-they just started in the last few weeks! :love Our Buff Orpington (Goldie) was the first, then the Light Brahma (Pearl) and now the Black Australorp (Ethel). :yaOh and I have to say I was so looking forward to hearing the egg laying "song" but it's not quite as beautiful as I imagined it 😂

I've been meaning to ask you, what is the recipe for canning your pickles? I've never canned before but we LOVE pickles and I want to try with all the cucumbers from our garden. We like dill pickles, not the sweet ones. I've been looking for recipes but I don't want to commit the time to make something we won't like.
Mine are dill and a bit sour. I do not add sugar at all. I recently posted in my new thread, "Preserving Your Harvest". Here's the post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/preserving-your-harvest.1485715/post-24770994
It's about pickled banana peppers, but I pickle cucumbers the same way. Be sure wash and slice cucumbers as desired (or leave small ones whole if you wish) and brine with salt overnight. The rest is the same.

Mine are dill and a bit sour. I do not add sugar at all. I recently posted in my new thread, "Preserving Your Harvest". Here's the post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/preserving-your-harvest.1485715/post-24770994
It's about pickled banana peppers, but I pickle cucumbers the same way. Be sure wash and slice cucumbers as desired (or leave small ones whole if you wish) and brine with salt overnight. The rest is the same.
thank you so much! I'm going to the store now!

Enabler!

😀
Very good. You’re really getting the hang of this.
Would the title,,,,, "CHICKEN MATHEMATICIAN" be also appropriate??? :idunno
averaging 4-5 eggs a day with 10 layers. 4 eggs is my breakfast!
Gets challenging feeding the rest of the family with that one remaining egg:cool:
BTW. Lo, is the leader of the pack,,,, giving me an egg-a-day.
Being grateful for saving her payback :highfive:
image_2021-08-04_112735.png
I'm really wanting to try the lime preservation method, once we start having extra eggs...
I was going to respond, and link the water glassing thread,,,, but see that you just visited it .. I follow it, so went to it,,,, I seen your response. :thumbsup

Last edited:
@jdragonwings
You should try to pickle eggs also. They are good once you wrap your head around "pickle" and "egg"! Easy to make and a good way to preserve eggs for long storage.
So... I read a number of sources that state pickled eggs need to be kept cold even if processed in a canner. The claim was that the eggs are to dense and large for the pickling solution to properly penetrate fully through the egg resulting in a risk of bacteria (botulism being the scary threat) growing inside the egg. And even refrigeration and pickling together only bought you a few months I think.

The claim was that the eggs are to dense and large for the pickling solution to properly penetrate fully through the egg resulting in a risk of bacteria (botulism being the scary threat) growing inside the egg.
Does make sense, since boiling eggs does not need them to be brought up in temperature very high,,, High enough like to pasteurize, and kill all bacteria.
Most pickled eggs I seen were quail eggs. I guess chicken eggs would work same.
I am not totally sure about this, but something tells me that those quail eggs get pickled with shells on. The vinegar makes the shells soft in time, and peel of like a skin when ready to eat. :idunno

Does make sense, since boiling eggs does not need them to be brought up in temperature very high,,, High enough like to pasteurize, and kill all bacteria.
Most pickled eggs I seen were quail eggs. I guess chicken eggs would work same.
I am not totally sure about this, but something tells me that those quail eggs get pickled with shells on. The vinegar makes the shells soft in time, and peel of like a skin when ready to eat. :idunno
Pickled quail eggs I have seen are boiled and deshelled before picking. Quail eggs may be safer in that they are smaller so perhaps the brine penetrates fully through the egg. Not sure though.

Back
Top Bottom