Illinois...

So... I read a number of sources that state pickled eggs need to be kept cold even if processed in a canner. The claim was that the eggs are to dense and large for the pickling solution to properly penetrate fully through the egg resulting in a risk of bacteria (botulism being the scary threat) growing inside the egg. And even refrigeration and pickling together only bought you a few months I think.
Funny everything I've read said they were good for 6 months even without cooling. I refrigerate mine but have left them out plenty. I can only say with certainty that I have never gotten sick and I have never bitten into a 2 week pickled egg that wasn't pickled completely through. Maybe I use more vinegar?
I am intrigued by this lime preservation, I'll look into it.

I am intrigued by this lime preservation, I'll look into it.
Not sure if you read that thread,,,,,, but my suggestion is to use smaller vessels so not to overload the eggs which could lead to breakage. Another advantage,,,, use the oldest jars first, and so on.
I do want to have that experience one day though..... as well as ducks, turkeys, maybe pigs, lambs, and I'm sure cows one day :drool:drool:celebrate
Not sure if it was you mentioning it or someone else. :idunno
That personal petting zoo with opossums, raccoons, and Wylie..
1628115444310.png

So glad you ask this when I already have too much going on ! I do want to have that experience one day though..... as well as ducks, turkeys, maybe pigs, lambs, and I'm sure cows one day :drool:drool:celebrate
Quail are actually much easier than chickens, but they lack the personality. I only had one female and all summer she gave me 7 eggs /week. Never missed a day. I also "had" a male, so I hatched out some of her eggs. Then after processing the male, I went and hatched a few more - just in case I ended up with an overload of males. Those 1st chicks are pretty much adults.

So now I'm stuck with 5 females and 3 males - more than I want for the winter. Plus another 1/2 doz week-old quail chicks

Quail are actually much easier than chickens, but they lack the personality. I only had one female and all summer she gave me 7 eggs /week. Never missed a day. I also "had" a male, so I hatched out some of her eggs. Then after processing the male, I went and hatched a few more - just in case I ended up with an overload of males. Those 1st chicks are pretty much adults.

So now I'm stuck with 5 females and 3 males - more than I want for the winter. Plus another 1/2 doz week-old quail chicks
ENABLER!
Lol I'd still have to build a cage and I'm already way behind on building another chicken tractor. Are they cold hearty or would I have to bring in garage? How many eggs do they lay? Is inbreeding an issue with them (relatively anyway)
Thinking about processing..... I saw a video of someone just twist and pull the head off a quail and even though I've processed a couple dozen chickens I'm still traumatized by it.

ENABLER!
Lol I'd still have to build a cage and I'm already way behind on building another chicken tractor. Are they cold hearty or would I have to bring in garage? How many eggs do they lay? Is inbreeding an issue with them (relatively anyway)
Thinking about processing..... I saw a video of someone just twist and pull the head off a quail and even though I've processed a couple dozen chickens I'm still traumatized by it.
They would likely need to go in the garage in the winter. I used to to bring mine in because our winters can be too harsh for coturnix quail.
Inbreeding is an issue as with any poultry. It limits the generic pool and can bring about genetic disorders. You can get away with a few generations, but consider line breeding.
As for processing, I process with just a knife. If skinning, it's very easy. However, picking results in a better meal in my opinion. Count on eating 2 or 3 per adult.

ENABLER!
Lol
I sure am!

They need protection from severe weather - like snow and wind. I've kept mine in a rabbit cage - with a tarp over it. They do not always seek shelter inside the hutch area - kind of dumb that way. They could also go in garage or in a cage within the shelter of the coop. Mine did very well inside the garage

Best thing for me to do is decrease numbers when they stop laying in fall. Then hatch like crazy in spring. They each pump out an egg a day when laying (eggs can get overwhelming fast) ,,,, then nothing for the winter. Can trick them into laying with artificial light, but I’m more of a chicken person. I’m not as serious about quail. They are only here because our son loves those little eggs.

Now after seeing pigeons at the fair, guess what he wants? Why can’t my kids want rabbits? I love rabbits! Our “quail “ cages were actually designed for future rabbits. They have housed quail, broody hens, chicks, ducks, turkeys, and occasionally injured chickens. Never had a rabbit in there yet. Why pigeons???

He claims he wants a bird that can fly. I told him to play with Trouble or any Serama in the backyard Doesn’t seem to think it’s the same. He also said he wanted a little caged bird like a parakeet. I told him to pick out a quail and we can put her in a cage. He didn’t like that idea either. Lol

I sure am!

They need protection from severe weather - like snow and wind. I've kept mine in a rabbit cage - with a tarp over it. They do not always seek shelter inside the hutch area - kind of dumb that way. They could also go in garage or in a cage within the shelter of the coop. Mine did very well inside the garage

Best thing for me to do is decrease numbers when they stop laying in fall. Then hatch like crazy in spring. They each pump out an egg a day when laying (eggs can get overwhelming fast) ,,,, then nothing for the winter. Can trick them into laying with artificial light, but I’m more of a chicken person. I’m not as serious about quail. They are only here because our son loves those little eggs.

Now after seeing pigeons at the fair, guess what he wants? Why can’t my kids want rabbits? I love rabbits! Our “quail “ cages were actually designed for future rabbits. They have housed quail, broody hens, chicks, ducks, turkeys, and occasionally injured chickens. Never had a rabbit in there yet. Why pigeons???

He claims he wants a bird that can fly. I told him to play with Trouble or any Serama in the backyard Doesn’t seem to think it’s the same. He also said he wanted a little caged bird like a parakeet. I told him to pick out a quail and we can put her in a cage. He didn’t like that idea either. Lol
Why can't they be content??? Sometimes I think they are meant to drive us crazy :)

Back
Top Bottom