Illinois...

Ok here is Caramel in all her greatness and you can see that she is missing feathers in her tail. I've noticed for a while that her tail was missing a few feathers, and assumed it was another chicken. I thought that was normal to a certain extent. Is there something I can do so she doesn't get so bullied?
Yesterday I noticed a small amount of blood.
Looks like there was a peck but she's obviously molting. (I can see pin feathers growing in.) Tail feathers are often 1st to go so I wouldn't be surprised if she looks worse in a couple days. You will also see that she's more distant from the others while molting.

A dab of blu-kote works to heal and prevent further pecking.

Looks like there was a peck but she's obviously molting. (I can see pin feathers growing in.) Tail feathers are often 1st to go so I wouldn't be surprised if she looks worse in a couple days. You will also see that she's more distant from the others while molting.

A dab of blu-kote works to heal and prevent further pecking.
Yes I did see lots of pin feathers coming in, I'll keep an eye on her! And get the blu-kote

A boil order has been in effect since Friday here... @WhyDoILikeChickens You are probably on our water system. My sister a few blocks from you is at least. There was e. coli found in the water supply and they haven't tracked it down just yet and additional tests keep showing positive for it. We are resorting to boiling about 2 gallons each day for drinking and cooking. Stores here cannot keep a supply of bottles water in stock right now so that's not much of an option unless I drive further to get it.
I am on community well. I think ecoli is one of the things we had natural resistance to but since we sterilize our world we lost our tolerances. Chicken eggs have salmonella so we should all be sick constantly. Honestly I've stopped cleaning my coffee cup and have used the same fork in my work truck for months without washing. And I've never gone this long without being sick.

Terrible day 😔
Did a feed run and he told me he was going to put the place up for sale. Going to quit selling feed when he runs out. ...a couple months.

@WhyDoILikeChickens and whoever else was splitting the order from Tamblyn Feed
@NotAFarm
So sad. I'll have to find replacement. Thanks is for the heads up. He mentioned he was getting out of meat because his kids are moving away and not there to help. I thought he would keep the feed.
Added* I read the reply. Slow catching up, thanks.

Last edited:
Can you get banned on BYC?

I'm usually very PC on social media, including BYC. However, in a different thread I just ranted and put somebody in their place for attempting to impose their opinion on me when it was not asked for. Wondering if my account is at risk of being banned now... Oops! No regrets though. :)
I've had posts and even threads deleted lol. Been scolded by moderators. I get heated sometimes.. if I haven't been booted it must be tough but like everywhere the enforcement is selective.

There's one person I considered putting on ignore/hide. He's actually pretty smart but I find him so condescending and obnoxious that I can't stand his posts. And when I first joined, it seemed like he responded to almost every question I asked. He never really TRULY answers but he manages to change the subject or make suggestions that aren't quite on point. But then you look like you're being difficult when you don't take the advise...but he doesn't may attention. And he almost always asks for pictures when it's not needed. I get it that sometimes pictures help a lot. But sometimes they don't and I don't feel like going and getting pictures to pacify some know-it-all who has no intention of being helpful anyway.

Chicken life has been challenging here. Lost one of my CX on last hot day, list a chick to predator, and one of my hens stopped getting along with everyone and my only option is to let her free range Alone all day.

I'm so sorry! Weird question about your lonely girl, would you ever consider re-homing her? I only ask because last night at my favorite wine bar, one of the owner's asked me if I knew where they could get a solo hen. They had a raccoon attack while out of town (their chicken-sitter left a gate open) and now they only have one lonely girl. Their plan for the spring was a new coop and some chicks but they don't want Bo Peep to have to make it through the winter alone and want to try to find her a friend. There was one farm I thought of that has a lot of chickens who came from various homes and situations but she doesn't have any laying aged hens to part with. And since Bo Peep is under 2 years, they were hoping for someone who'd be with her for a while, not one closer to the rainbow bridge. I don't know if you'd want to part with your girl (or if anyone knows of any other places) but it just seemed too coincidental that I've come across 2 lonely hens in less than 24 hrs.

I lost the last 2 of my old hens from 2015. One a week ago on Thursday and one this Friday. BJG s

Anybody want a lonely only poult?
I have a white poult that hatched out of a 3 or 4 week old bait egg. 2 first time chicken moms weren't taking care of it. At least it wasn't near them and everywhere else when it was 50f. Huddled in the wrong nest box Everytime I looked. I finally brought it in a couple days after it hatched. One Eye was shut but it's open now. It's a week old today.

Back
Top Bottom