Illinois...

Hi All
I am relatively new to Illinois and starting my flock this year. I'm in the Quad Cities (East Moline) and have a young flock of chickens that range in age from 6 months to 3 1/2 months. None of the little freeloaders are laying yet! Damnit. :D

My last flock was in Northern California where they laid all year. I never saw a drop in production and most of my girls were laying by 4-5 months or so. This flock is mostly Ameracuana, Orpingtons and EEs but I also have a Speckled Susses and a SF.

My question is for everyone in upper-mid Ill. Are your birds still laying? Is it usually for young birds to delay starting to lay if they come to maturity in the winter? Are mine just willfully refusing to live up to the Human-Poultry compact where I give them food, and they give me eggs? Or is this pretty normal for this part of the midwest!

🙃

Thanks in advance!
Leslie
The only ones laying in my flock are the production Breed birds. Everyone else will sit it out for a while.

One more question. I love to hatch so end up with extra roos. Other than posting to the local Facebook groups (I have done that), is there a good place to offer extra roos? I have a Ameracuana and a Frizzled EE now that I am trying to rehome.

Oh and I can send them to freezer camp. I am not squeamish about that but these are nice pretty boys and want to give them a chance first.

Oh and I can send them to freezer camp. I am not squeamish about that but these are nice pretty boys and want to give them a chance first.
I think freezer camp is not that bad of an option. Much better than what hatcheries resort to with their extra males. :(
Look at it this way. Rooster gets a good life growing up ,,,, with only one bad day,, ,,,,,, or moment.

I think freezer camp is not that bad of an option. Much better than what hatcheries resort to with their extra males. :(
Look at it this way. Rooster gets a good life growing up ,,,, with only one bad day,, ,,,,,, or moment.
Gah, do I even want to know what the hatcheries do? 😱

I'm going to give them a couple of months. they are not harassing the hens yet. Once that happens, it's to the freezer with them.

Anyone interested in a nice medium sized rooster? Mom is a welsummer and dad is a silkie. Near Morris Illinois but willing to drive a reasonable distance for a good home.

Attachments

• IMG 20211115.jpg
    IMG 20211115.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 1
Hi All
I am relatively new to Illinois and starting my flock this year. I'm in the Quad Cities (East Moline) and have a young flock of chickens that range in age from 6 months to 3 1/2 months. None of the little freeloaders are laying yet! Damnit. :D

My last flock was in Northern California where they laid all year. I never saw a drop in production and most of my girls were laying by 4-5 months or so. This flock is mostly Ameracuana, Orpingtons and EEs but I also have a Speckled Susses and a SF.

My question is for everyone in upper-mid Ill. Are your birds still laying? Is it usually for young birds to delay starting to lay if they come to maturity in the winter? Are mine just willfully refusing to live up to the Human-Poultry compact where I give them food, and they give me eggs? Or is this pretty normal for this part of the midwest!

🙃

Thanks in advance!
Leslie

Welcome!!

My ladies have been freeloading the last month or so. The older ladies started molting and stopped laying and haven't laid in over a month. The younger girls are in their first year where they aren't molting as hard so they are still laying a bit. But I get 1-3 eggs a day now out of 12 hens. 7 that absolutely have not laid in over a month and 5 that take turns. Actually, Ginger (RIR) lays almost every day and it depends which one of her flockmates join her. Last fall, the older girls were still laying now but they didn't molt as hard as they did this year. Then we'll go a while where they're done molting but there isn't enough daylight. I'd say I'm looking at a sparse winter of eating grocery store eggs until the days get longer again. Oh, and Millie my OE is broody again. For real?!!??!! So she's screeching at anyone who even thinks about getting in the box which does not help. Chickens!!!!

Hmmm, guess I need to add a couple of production hens to the flock. What are the ones that are laying best for you?

My White Leghorn and Russian Orloff laid consistently all last winter. My Mystic Marans and Gold Laced Wyandotte laid periodically last winter. The others took the winter off. In my younger flock (they weren't laying yet last winter) I have a RIR that lays almost every day and I bet she goers right through the winter. I also have an Ameraucana, Crested creme legbar and EE that are laying still but not every day. I think they are getting ready to cycle off and the dumb OE is broody.

Back
Top Bottom