Illinois...

If you bathe her she should stay inside. You could either do as Stacey said and clip those feathers, or try to just spot clean them if she tolerates being handled. She needs all the feathers she can have for the rest of winter.

Yeah, that's why I don't want to clip anything. I think I could get it out with a warm wash clothe and blow dry her. She's eating and drinking now and standing up. Hasn't made any effort to move around yet but she looks much more alert so I'm taking this as a good sign.

If you bathe her she should stay inside. You could either do as Stacey said and clip those feathers, or try to just spot clean them if she tolerates being handled. She needs all the feathers she can have for the rest of winter.
I agree with this.

Yeah, that's why I don't want to clip anything. I think I could get it out with a warm wash clothe and blow dry her. She's eating and drinking now and standing up. Hasn't made any effort to move around yet but she looks much more alert so I'm taking this as a good sign.
I usually keep them inside overnight and until they make it clear they are ready to go back out.

Although I ended up with a hawk attack survivor in the house all winter until she wanted to stay out.

Well Miss Ginger is a house chicken tonight and laid an egg in my bath tub. I guess she's feeling okay. LOL! I'll give her a bath in the morning and after a little big sneak her out there. Hopefully she wasn't away long enough for any mean girl business but I guess if so, I can keep her in all day and put her in tomorrow night when they are asleep.

I passed out hot water and feed, but left everyone locked up until we hit positive numbers today. I picked out 3 of the 4 outside coops, but had to come in because my feet were in too much pain. Got to go out and tackle the orp coop now. They're just going to get a bedding change I think.

It is ridiculous out there!! I put out hot water just before 7am (when the door opens) and when back out to clean, give treats and add more hot water around 8am and the water was already slushy!!! Just gave Ginger a bath and I am headed back outside to defrost the water again. If my boss sees this, I swear I am working at some point.

My house chicken is seriously the dirtiest bird in the flock. Girlfriend had so much dried on gunk it's no wonder her feathers couldn't do their job to keep her warm. I got out what I could with some Dawn and gentle pressure but she'd going to have to learn how to chicken at some point. The others bathe and preen every day. She only likes to bathe in the garden. The bath in the coop is apparently lava.

Back
Top Bottom