Illinois...

Who else has chickens strung out like they're dead today because it's the first time we've had sun in weeks?
lol
I went outside and mine are in the front yard between the house and the garage,
Prison break :eek:
Hopefully no coyotes come by.

I am starting some onion seeds today. I usually by plants but they didn't do too well last year. This was the first year I found the Patterson seeds, they keep really well. If they don't germinate or I manage to forget about them and kill them.... I will still have time to order from Dixondale.

Egg production started up for a while now. Girls are still in their winter housing. I know that they would be fine outdoors with the current temps,,,,,, but it is too much work making the transfer,,,, and then transfer back if temps hit LOW. They seem happy where they are at. Plenty of feed,,,, and some treats,, (bird seed mix). Plenty of fresh hay to scratch thru as well.
I think the 12+ hours of light (electric on timer) may have affect on egg production.
Now,,, with the extra eggs on hand,, I have resorted to baking some good cakes.
How is everyone's egg production doing. ??

My PO is New Lenox. That's the only USPS place in town. The USPS said the seeds were supposed to be delivered on the 31st by 9 PM. But then they sent them off instead. No wonder they are losing money . Thank God this isn't chicks.
Screenshot_20240202-073622.png

@AinaWGSD
:frow Welcome back.

I recognized your town because we like visiting Okaw Valley Orchard whenever passing through central Illinois. (I'm in the Chicago suburbs)

What kinds of chickens do you have?
None at the moment. About a year, year and a half ago we had something big get into the coop out at the farm and wipe out what was left of our flock.

But on December the city amended the animal ordinance to allow for 6 hens in town so we have chicks on order at Meyer for the end of April! We're getting RIR, olive egger, cream legbar, sapphire jewel, BLR wyandotte, and exchequer leghorn with plans to do a run of CornishX a little later in the spring. Might do turkeys this year too.

And I can feel chicken math taking over my brain already, so I wouldn't be surprised if we started the flock out at the farm again too. We had buckeyes and I'd love to have them again but I don't know who still has them.

About a year, year and a half ago we had something big get into the coop out at the farm and wipe out what was left of our flock.
Friend, farther south by Shawnee Forest, had a bobcat get most of their turkeys. They got a permit and got him a couple months ago. And already another is showing up on the camera.

Back
Top Bottom