Illinois...

This is will be my first fall and winter with poultry and I need to know everything there is about weatherproofing ducks! I've heard conflicting advice on this so I want to know everything I should know before winter hits. Who better to ask than my fellow Illinoisians! Please share every detail!

Quote:
Hello lilDucky,

I have had pet ducks for about 7 or 8 years. Do you have a pond?

I know that sounds like a silly question, but lots of people with ducks

dont have ponds.

j

LOL!! Okay. I have had trouble getting this last batch of ducks into the pond also! That is so funny. Who would think that duck would not like a big pond. ugh. We have had several batches of ducks over the years and this is the first time it has happened. One of the mommy ducks has hatched three clutches out this summer. Our neighbors kids wanted some. SOOOO we caught the mom(mallard), her new little troop and 1 pekin to take to their house. Since then the old ducks will not get out of the water. I think they finally know they are safe there. About the winter. The ducks keep a hole wollered out in the middle all winter long. At least one duck swimming always. The others will rest and someone will swim. I take feed out and throw it on the edge of the pond. This has always worked for me. OF Course we have lost a few to coyotes or whatever. But mostly they make it.
This year we installed an airator so the water will be moving all winter long and not freeze. I am sure the quacks are going to love it
Hope this helps
j

Well it might be a good thing that you dont have a pond OSUman!
Silly birds! I think they would rather be chickens. hehe They are always trying to sneak into the hen house. Dandy Cogburn (buff rooster) will run them out everytime.

Back
Top Bottom