Illinois...

Quote:
We all slept through it.
big_smile.png

Slept right through it.
sad.png

I had my window cracked a little bit for some fresh air that night and I remember falling asleep to the howling wind and rattling shutters. I think that might have helped me sleep through the earthquake! My brother heard it at his house, though, and he said it sounded like a plow truck crashing in to his room.

I wonder what the chickens thought of the earthquake! Nobody laid scrambled eggs that morning.
lol.png

I thought it was a plow at first too! Then thought maybe a tree fell on my house because it was really windy. I didnt know what was going on. It was very confusing at 4am.

On the news it asked people if their pets were acting up. I cant think of my pets acting any different then my sons hermit crab being up all night which is rare. lol

Was wondering if anyone local raised sq silkies and if anyone had bantam chicks available now. I had one chick hatch out of 16 and Id like to find him a buddy. Thanks

Does anyone know of any hatcheries or breeders in Northern Illinois? I'm looking for just a few new chicks within driving distance to save on shipping costs and to spare the babies the trip in the mail.

The only one I can find is Nature's Hatchery in Chicago, and they don't allow pick-up, unfortunately ... too bad, as they're so close to me!!!

Usually I just pick up a few new chicks from the local feed store, but they are very limited in variety. I thought I'd see what's out there by asking my Illinois friends on BYC.
cool.png

I am in Southern Illinois (Marion area) and am looking for some "pretty" chickens to join my coop. I just re started my chickens after recently moving here so I have 14-3 week old chicks. 4 Barred Rocks, 4 Buff Orps, 4 Silver Laced Wyandottes (sp?) and 2 Road Islands. I really wanted some different breeds but this is all I could get a hold of for now. I would like some pretty colored Amaracanas, maybe a Barnevelder or some pretty mixes it doesn't matter to me I just want pretty colors. I have a 20' coop and my chickens free range in a fenced 1 1/2 acre pastrue with my llamas.

Thanks for any info

Its too bad they are so close to you. Maybe a local farm store like Farm and Fleet or TSC might have some chicks on their chick days. We got chicks in the stores right now.

Look under the TSC websites for chick days. I know the one in Bloomington-Normal, IL has some last year but not sure if they will pick it up this year.

Try Freecycle.com if you want some chicks or someone who will be hatching some chicks.

I got a friend in Wateska and another near Kankakee (Mothergoose) that have chickens but hatching eggs are available.

Quote:
The name escapes me at the moment but the farm supply store on 13 west of the interstate might have chicks. I think you might be just as well off ordering from a hatchery. That's what TSC and the other stores do.

If you want Ameraucanas you might have a difficult time finding true Ameraucanas, what the hatcheries sell are usually Easter Eggers.

Hi and thanks for your reply. No I don't need true Ameraucanas, EE's would be fine, BUT the ranch store only carry the selection I already have and sell 25 at a time same as hatcheries. I don't need 25 more, I just want to add some pretty ones and to my egg color assortment.

Back
Top Bottom