Illnesses?

HeatherD73

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2017
Rock Hill, SC
Questions:

All my ducklings are 4 or 5 weeks old. Refering to them as "he" but not sure of sexes yet.

Duckling 1 (Jumper)- Pekin

1) He is bowlegged and 1 foot turns in. I added nutritional yeast,and brewers yeast to their food. I also added poultry nutri-drench to the water. I added these things apx 2 weeks ago. No real difference in legs, but he seems happy and gets around.
2) In the last day or so it seems he is off and on breathing heavy. Not all the time, but some times. Not using a lamp anymore, and no one else is breathing heavy. They have water deep enough to snort in. They have 1 or 2 swimming sessions a day in the tub with lukewarm water. Again, he is eating and drinking and playing and swimming.

Duckling 2 (Notorious B.I.G.)- Either buff or Khaki

1) He makes a clicking sound with his mouth. Not that he is purposefully doing it. It happens when he eats and when he preens himself. Anyone know what this is?

FYI- Googling issues for ducks is just as scary as googling a weird rash or symptoms for myself....worst of the worst pops up!!

I would feed all flock, or flock raiser. And continue the nutrtional yeast till 10-12 weeks old.
Make sure your putting enough in.. 1 tablespoon per cup of feed is what i add.
I dont think there is much to correct the leg turning in at this age.
Breathing heavy at times is ver normal for ducklings. Especially large breed like pekin. They get warm, or tired and breath a little heavy after exercise too.
The clicking sound is prob nothing to worry about if its just when eating and preening.
Do you have a photo? There is a pretty big difference between a buff duckling, and a khaki campbell, so we can tell by this age quite easily if you have a picture
1f642.png

Oh good! Of the 2 I think the buff is "cuter", no offense to Khaki lovers. I hope everyone is OK.

Lol i have a couple khakis.. which have fantastic personalities but buffs are prettier ! I agree:)
I hope they are okay too.
My buff last spring had bowed legs... but they got better around 4-5 weeks old

Back
Top Bottom