I'm a bad chicken mama!

adamsheather123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Minneapolis, KS
OK so went to local TSC and got my first dozen layers. Had chickens as a kid so I felt confident after researching that I had this under control. Got six Cornish rocks and six EEs. Well the one and only thing I didn't research before purchase was about breed types and what not. Didn't know Cornish rocks were pretty much only good for meat. Help me! I need as much info as possible so I can raise them up to be good meat birds. I have no problem with the butcher process and what not just need to know about housing, food and timeline type stuff.

You could keep them however you were planning to keep 12 layers. I'm raising 10 Cornish Cross with our regular layers, and they are growing well. I feed them 18% chick starter, they are free ranging, and gaining weight right on track.

Timeline, depends on how big you want them. Our biggest older bunch at 6 1/2 weeks were over 6lbs. They are currently 8 weeks old, and some are close to 9lbs, smallest is just over 6lbs.

Well I've decided its easier on me and my kids to separate the layers and meaties. For one I worried that the layers wouldn't get enough food and for two I didn't want to worry about getting too attached to them while we play with the layers and ducks. Makes me feel better I guess. Two weeks and I'm gonna have them an a-frame tractor to free range in.

Well I've decided its easier on me and my kids to separate the layers and meaties. For one I worried that the layers wouldn't get enough food and for two I didn't want to worry about getting too attached to them while we play with the layers and ducks. Makes me feel better I guess. Two weeks and I'm gonna have them an a-frame tractor to free range in.

Good reason there, I had forgotten about that part. Hope it all goes well for you!

Good reason there, I had forgotten about that part. Hope it all goes well for you!

Thanks! We separated yesterday and even though they are still in the same room they are now in different brooders. The ducks and EEs seem much happier. Even the Cornish seem like they are doing better. Eating a lot and getting nice and plump. OK that sounds evil. Lol!

If they're nasty, they usually need more space. They don't have to be stinky and covered in poop, they just need a lot more space than layer birds. There are some great threads on free-ranging CX and brooding them so they're not unpleasant.

Back
Top Bottom