I'm a bad rooster mama.... UPDATE: He's back!

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
Today our Mottled Houdan flew out of the run. Now, that might not seem like a big deal, but this roo is NOT nice, does NOT like people, and won't come near any of us for anything. Not even if we bring treats! Anyways, he flew out today with two hens. The hens are easy to get, they'll come running if I throw some corn. The roo wouldn't come near me.

A few weeks ago he got out while it was raining, and it took everything I had to catch him. He flapped in my face and ran for about an hour, and when I finally caught him I had to grab him by the tail and swing him over the fence before he slashed my face with his razor tipped wings.

Today, I didn't want to deal with it, so I decided to let him stay out till it got dark, planning to catch him when he couldn't see. Up until about 15 minutes before the chickens' roosting time, he was outside the fence begging to go back in, but I knew I wouldn't be able to catch him so I didn't bother. I figured he'd bed down near the run as close as possible to the light from our safety light, but instead it got dark and he disappeared.

I don't like this rooster at all, but he was part of my original 20, I bought him as a little antisocial 4 week old chick, and I feel bad. Part of me would be relieved if he found a home in the trees, or got eaten, cause he's one less roo, but I can't stand the thought of him dying. I just can't stand it! To think that the little chick I raised is in a fox's stomach makes me sad, so I don't want him to be eaten. I would at least like to butcher him myself, cause that way I know he gets a quick death, but I can't even bring myself to do that (hence the reason he's still alive).

Anyways, I feel so bad cause he's out there somewhere right now! Where would he have gone? Do they roost in trees? I've looked everywhere!

Last edited:
My guess is he's probably somewhere near the coop where you haven't looked. I would think that he would come back to roost near the other birds. But I'm not there with you so I can't really say.

Have you ever thought about using a poultry crook to catch him with?

We use a dip-net to catch our loose birds.
big_smile.png

(It's a big net used to scoop salmon out of the river...)

He is probably safe, and will be out there in the morning clamoring to be let back in. I would maybe clip his wing so he can't get away so fast, or hurt you.

and you're not a bad mama... you just have a wayward child.
hugs.gif

Well, this morning, BRIGHT AND EARLY, like earlier than the crack of dawn, he was out there crowing for his buddies! He must have let hubby catch him, cause now he's back in the pen. I don't feel bad anymore!
smile.png

If he flew out, he probably flew back in. I know some of ours will fly and others won't. I only catch and return the ones that don't because I know that the others will eventually go. Before I go to bed, I do a head count and sure enough they are all there.

Michelle

DMK Ranch

Back
Top Bottom