I'm A Chicken Mommy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lpyrbby, May 8, 2016.

1. lpyrbby

lpyrbby Chillin' With My Peeps

We finally picked up our 4 two-month old biddies this afternoon :) They're beautiful!

I checked in on them just a few minutes ago, and it looks like they're huddling up on/near their water dish :-| I have no idea what to make of that. I'm now also terrified a snake is going to come take them in the middle of the night. I'm going to try not to fret, but I'll be a bit devastated if something happens. We've got them in a temporary pen wrapped in chicken wire, just outside of our house, in a fenced in yard for now, until we finish the hoop coop.

Anyway - pictures!

Blue laced red wyandotte

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dark brahma in front, speckled sussex in back

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Speckled sussex - 1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speckled sussex - 2

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Congratulations! I have a few SS and some light brahmas. The LBs love to climb on my lap when I'm sitting in their pen. The SSs are very curious and are usually the first to investigate new things.

3. lpyrbby

The little pen they are in right now, I can't sit in with them. Hopefully I can find other ways to help keep them interested in me. I'm smitten :)

4. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Yeah, I couldn't fit in the brooder either! I move them outside to a 10x10' dog kennel (fortified against predators) once they have their feather "jackets". I sit in there with them.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It won't take any time at all to train them with meal worms or crickets to come to you. Just offer the treat while using a verbal cue. They quickly learn to associate the cue and the sight of the container with the treats, become hopelessly addicted like little crack addicts, and will come running the second they see the container and hear the verbal cue.

Then you can safely let them out to roam and romp, knowing you can lure them back into their enclosure in a blink of an eye.

2 people like this.
  6. lpyrbby

We tried to introduce them to some thin sliced carrots today. No dice. So I ordered some meal worms :)

7. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Mine aren't particularly wild about carrots either. Bugs, especially live ones, are what they get the most excited about for sure.

8. lpyrbby

I took a vid of the little terrorists tonight. I really can't wait for the big coop to get finished so I can hang out *with* them.

The dark brahma is Nona. The blue laced red wyandotte is Wyatt. Reba is the speckled sussex with the "little" comb and Ringo is the one with the larger comb. Most think Ringo is a pullet, but I tell ya, I'm not so sure! Especially since there's some relatively frequent chest bumping/facing off going on with Wyatt. Anywho, just sharing :)

[​IMG]

9. lpyrbby

It's been a while and I wanna share new photos of the brood, and maybe a video or two :) The chickens are still in their temporary pen but I'm cautiously optimistic that I can find the intestinal fortitude and creativity to get the hardware cloth wrapped on the coop this weekend so they can move into it.

Reba

[​IMG]

Nona getting her excited chicken jump on. Reba is the SS and Wyatt is in the background.

[​IMG]

Ringo, the adventurous one.

[​IMG]

Wyatt and Ringo

[​IMG]

Reba

[​IMG]

Reba

[​IMG]

Wyatt and a pea

[​IMG]

Wut ma?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nona - timing is everything...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because...you guys know what this is lol

[​IMG]

This vid was from this morning. Had to capture Wyatt trying to crow lol (this one is short)

[​IMG]

And finally, this next one is of the birds being silly. When we bought the house last August, we had them install a pool cover over the defunct pool until we could get it fixed (which may actually happen soon...). Well, Nona has an interesting take on it lol (warning, I may have dropped an expletive in this one, sooooo volume is NOT required, especially if you are sensitive to such things lol)

[​IMG]

10. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    lpyrbby what a beautiful set of chooks you have. I've got a set of chicks that are only 2 weeks old. I am anxious for them to get the size of yours. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by