I'm a hick because I use rabbit hutches with wire bottoms guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a hick has never bothered me, but to be honest with you, until now I didn't know it was a bad thing. Note to self --- start getting out more!

Have over 300 birds on wire.
My birds are raised to be processed for the table.

Brad

I'm a hick born and bred - long before I got quail!
lau.gif
I'm also an educated hick - but I still talk like a hick - throws them all off!

I didn't even consider solid floors for my quail - they get so spooked when I mess around in their pen - doing a complete bedding change would stress them out so much! I use a cat litter pan to give them sand and dirt for dust baths.

I bought my quail as adults from people who didn't know what they were doing with quail. They kept them on a solid floor and when I got mine they had skin mites, scaley leg mites and a lot of feather loss. I put them in the rabbit cages so I could strictly control their environment while they healed. They still have some severe damage from the leg mites, but they're not in pain and seem content. I wouldn't ever put them back on a solid floor. They sleep in their litter pan of soil, so they're happy enough.

WELL YEE HAWWW HOWDIE!!! We have us a GEN..OU..IN...EEEE HICK party here!!! Add me to the club on both sides. I keep my buttons in a fish tank of all things with a wire bottom so their poo drops through. AND i keep my Courtnix (God forbid) in with my chicks on a wood chip bottom (OMG) CARDBOARD BOX!!!!

One of those Courtnix came from your horrid conditions monarch.....to my horrid conditions!!! THANK Goodness you sent them to me....LOL And they would flip their lids if they came to my house. I have the cardboard box for those, a cardboard box for some 3 month old (show chickens) a plastic rubbermaid bin for some 2 week olds and another for a some week old ducks and chicks (OMG) in the same box. THEN I have another rubbermaid container with a show chicken and another with another and then the fishtank with the buttons. NOT TO MENTION the goat baby in diapers in the dog kennel and the dog in the other dog kennel and our large dog in the large dog kennel. Plus we just sold the ducklings that were in the other rubbermaid container.

Wow they would have a hay day at my house. Sorry this is a big comment! Don't believe me here is some hick pictures!!! ALL YA'ALL gonna love this!!!

Buttons in the fishtank
15601_3307230704.jpg

Show chicken watching DH play the Wii fit while perched on the one box of 2 month old chickens and the bigger box of courtnix and chicks behind him in the left hand corner! And the next one shows the inside of the box!
15601_3307230733.jpg
15601_3307230673.jpg

the show chickens hanging out on the edge of the box they live in.
15601_ffa_hatching_eggs_095.jpg
15601_ffa_hatching_eggs_087.jpg
15601_ffa_hatching_eggs_085.jpg

2 sets of Ducklings each in one of the rubbermaid boxes
15601_3307230684.jpg
15601_3307230683.jpg

another couple sets of chicks in a rubbermaid container
15601_3307230676.jpg

15601_hatched_eggs_026.jpg
15601_p1010021.jpg

and the goat in diapers!!!
15601_new_goats_061.jpg
15601_baby_goat_006.jpg

and I forgot about the other FISHTANK that I use for either ducks or bigger chicks.
15601_ffa_hatching_eggs_141.jpg

Quote:
haha no no according to this person your set ups are probably heaven comparied to my horrid set ups
roll.png
hehe! Your babies look gorgous and CLEAN and healthy and im sure very happy!
smile.png
hugs.gif
You're probably an upgraded hick to her
wink.png
gig.gif
hugs.gif

Ha Ha guess I'm a hick too.. kind of proud of it acutally..

Anyhows. I recently bought some quail that had been housed in a pretty nasty on the ground pen..(however thats how they are at my house too but it gets cleaned pretty regular, and in the process of building wire bottom pens for them) these poor things had poop balls that was hard as rocks on every one of their toes. We had to bring them in and let their feet soak in hot water. Mind you a few lost toes... Horrible thing!! So I think wire bottom pens are much better...

I moved on up....to the east side to a deluxe apartment in the sky............

movin into HICK TOWN!! or the Redneck yacht club!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Thanks for the compliment on the cleanlieness of the living room! It gets really crazy in there.

And I have coops out in the barn that house chickens and ducklings that have wire floors! AAAGGGHHH!!!

Quote:
OHH speaking of the poo balls on their toes, we thought one of our freerange chickens had lost a toe.....NOPE it was a mud/poo ball that was encasing her little toe nail. Freed her and she walks just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom