IM A NERVOUSE WRECK ABOUT MY CHICKENS AND MY COOP

devo52

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
Westlake, LA
PLEASE HELP MY COOP IS ALMOST BUILT AND I HAVE BECOME VERY ATTATCHED TO MY CHICKENS I HAVE RACOONS POSSUMS AND COYOTES THAT ARE IN MY AREA I HAVE BUILT A ENCLOSED COOP AND I HAVE A RUN FOR THEM BUT IM WORRIED ABOUT PREDATORS ANY SUGGESTIONS ON ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO I ONLY HAVE A WEEK OR TWO LEFT FOR THE CHICKS TO BE OUT OF BROODER AND I NEED SOME HELP ON TIPS TO KEEP THESE PREDATORS AWAY.

IM NOT THROUGH WITH COOP BUT IF IT HELPS IT IS 6FT BY 10 FT BY 6FT ENCLOSED HALF FOR NESTING AND HALF IS OPEN WITH CHICKEN WIRE ALSO THE RUN IS HALF EGG SHAPED 10X4

Put you a 2ft apron around the pen built of welded wire fence or a like material so predators cannot dig under. Or bury it and run on side a lil bit

Pictures would help. Chicken wire is not strong enough to stop most predators. 1/2" hardware cloth is better.

Its sound like your coop is a good size. How many chicks do you have?

Here's a picture of our coop and run.

JanetS - that is a lovely coop, I wouldn't mind living there!
big_smile.png

I live on 5 acres in the country. I used chicken wire and orange snow fence. The snow fence is to block the wind and also is very strong. I used it for the top also, on half the pen. Then I put narrow strips of fiberglass roofing around the pen to discourage digging. Nothing has ever gotten into this pen. When I did not have it covered, the neighblor dogs got in and killed two of the ducks. When I let the ducks out, I leave two gates open so they don't get trapped in the pen if something comes after them. The snow fence is very strong--comes in green, too.
As for the coyotes, foxes and racoons, we live trap them and move them away from our place. You'd want to be sure that's legal. Also, one fox came back at least twice, so relocating them far away is best.
(The building is a shed, not a coop. The "coop" is a large wooden crate tipped on it's side.

Back
Top Bottom