I'm a new chicken/duck mom

Chuckles and Duckles

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2022
Rural Wisconsin
I got my first six golden comets last week along with the last two ducklings at tractor supply. Since then I've magically gained eight more, an austrolop that I'm hoping is a rooster, three smokey pearls, two barred rocks, and two Rhode Island reds.

Besides my feather kids, I also have a cat and dog. I live in rural Wisconsin with my brother on 14 acres, so a rooster isn't an issue. I work the homestead, and my brother works outside the home. My mother has jnformed me she want chickens too, but since she lives in town I guess I'm raising whatever she acquires too.

Besides being the wrangler of all things feathered and fur covered, I am also a gardener and babysitter when needed. My goal this year is to try and get a garden that produces extra food to sell at the local farmer's market. I also plan on selling extra flowers there too. This is my second year gardening, so I'm still learning.

So why did I get into chickens? I blame Friend the pigeon. He was a bird that would visit me when I went to my parent's house and just sit with me outside. I tell everyone I'm working on my fairy tale princess skills, so the more animals I befriend, the closer I get to the ultimate princess skill, fairy godmother in the cottage in the woods.

If you have any books to suggest I read to better help my ducks and chickens, let me know. Also, I'd love to see coop pics, as with fourteen chickens, my other brother's hand me down coop is NOT going to fit the whole flock. As soon as I have a bigger coop built, it gets converted to the Duck Hut.

I'm hoping to make some new friends here and have a "chicken tender" support group here. So, yeah, I'm D, and I'm new here.

:welcome

Hi, it's nice to have you here with us! The Learning Center may be of interest to you, click on the Articles tab and you'll find lots of good articles to help you out with your chickens and ducks. You'll also find the Coops & Runs articles written by members on how they built those.

Thanks for joining us!

I got my first six golden comets last week along with the last two ducklings at tractor supply. Since then I've magically gained eight more, an austrolop that I'm hoping is a rooster, three smokey pearls, two barred rocks, and two Rhode Island reds.

Besides my feather kids, I also have a cat and dog. I live in rural Wisconsin with my brother on 14 acres, so a rooster isn't an issue. I work the homestead, and my brother works outside the home. My mother has jnformed me she want chickens too, but since she lives in town I guess I'm raising whatever she acquires too.

Besides being the wrangler of all things feathered and fur covered, I am also a gardener and babysitter when needed. My goal this year is to try and get a garden that produces extra food to sell at the local farmer's market. I also plan on selling extra flowers there too. This is my second year gardening, so I'm still learning.

So why did I get into chickens? I blame Friend the pigeon. He was a bird that would visit me when I went to my parent's house and just sit with me outside. I tell everyone I'm working on my fairy tale princess skills, so the more animals I befriend, the closer I get to the ultimate princess skill, fairy godmother in the cottage in the woods.

If you have any books to suggest I read to better help my ducks and chickens, let me know. Also, I'd love to see coop pics, as with fourteen chickens, my other brother's hand me down coop is NOT going to fit the whole flock. As soon as I have a bigger coop built, it gets converted to the Duck Hut.

I'm hoping to make some new friends here and have a "chicken tender" support group here. So, yeah, I'm D, and I'm new here.
:frow Welcome from New Orleans. First, let me say, I am sending thoughts and prayers that you get your rooster and that he is the good rooster that I know you are hoping for.
You have come to the right place to make friends with people who will help you with whatever they can. We have lots of knowledgeable, kind people who are always willing to help. You will get to know who the duck people are and who the chicken people are, as well as the ones who have both.
There is a section in the forums on coop building, everything from the fancy coops, to how to build a coop with up cycled goods.
Please take your time, look around on the site and find some things that may be helpful to read. If you are not finding answers, start a thread where it will get noticed so you get answers. Good luck
It sounds like you are going to have a great, though busy life.

What a great introduction -- I love all that you're doing and all that you are planning!

I have about two dozen books on raising poultry. I think the Storey's Guides are a good place to start -- I have their books on poultry, chickens and ducks. I think Storey's gives a good overview, although there are a lot of good books out there.

BTW, when I was a kid, a wild pigeon flew into our yard and chose to live there, protected by a pen he could leave whenever he wanted. But, I can't blame him for my critter obsession. It's always been a part of me.

Best wishes for you with your critters and your gardens! Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom