I'm a newbie from Colorado with six

chiknman

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
My Coop
My Coop
Last year I started by kidnapping four chickens from a neglectful person. They started with 7 or 8 and slowly they were disappearing. My sis threatened him to get them a coop or they were gone. These girls were going through a tough sub-zero time with nothing but a porchlight and no protection from predators or the elements. I know chickens are tough, but this was anger material for me. I was short of cash and resources, but i lucked out and bought a coop from a customer(who was upgrading to a larger coop) she heard my plight and gave me one heck of a deal: $60! That same day i kidnapped the girls and they had a new home. They spent the rest of that winter warm and snug in their new digs being spoiled.
This year my town finally allowed chickens and ducks without permits( but we wont let them know i had them prior)! And the guy acquired ten more! I sent code enforcement to him and they told him the rules. Although he built a coop which is more of a box on four legs, one chick falls about four feet through the wire mesh! My sis took that one and gave her to me. I had to get her a partner so i bought a pullet at the local feed store.
I havent done so much research since school!
So far i have neighbors asking if im going to eat them(No!) And compost material up the yinyang(yay!).
I am currently in the process of building an extension to the coop and a run. Will post some pics when im done!
And hello! :D

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Does your neighbor know you are the ones taking his birds? He is liable to send the authorities after you. I know you are kind hearted and want to help. But it would be better if you just report him when "mishaps" are occurring rather than taking it into your own hands. Enough reports against him and maybe he will give up his birds voluntarily and close shop.

I was worried in the beginning of just that, but when my sis threatened the first time, his live in gf actually encouraged it. She didnt want them. He too, after the fascination wore off let them go 'extra' free range by going out in the alley and quite the busy street. He left the bags of scratch and feed open in the yard where moisture and mice can get into, and last year we still werent legally allowed to have them yet.

Its just that not only his gf is only on the lease, its not allowed on multi family housing and if renting landlord has to give permission(who we got involved and who is not happy because hes not on the lease and did not ask.)

I have gotten code enforcement on them numerous times as of now and i do depend on them to keep up the task. And also im at my limit of what i can take care of. But abuse and neglect is just that and I admit I would have done it again.

Some people are born with chickens around them, others have chickens thrust upon them.

X3 on drumstick diva's advice.

IMO this is not a simple code infraction issue but animal cruelty and most cities have strict ordinances about it. In my area we see news reports almost weekly of cruelty charges and convictions for cats and dogs. The ASCP enforces cruelty charges against large poultry farms and may offer you some advice on backyard chicken flock cruelty.

Good luck with your rescued chickens, they surely are happier with you, but be very careful. This is theft of property and you could end up the one in bigger trouble.

Back
Top Bottom