Im a Newbie

D SCHWARTZ 26

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2016
Hi, in new to this site and I have some chicken questions about worms!!:( Where should I go?? I have 6 Hens and a rooster.

I got these chickens as older birds to try it out when I lived in town and then we moved into the country a few months ago. When we moved the coop we put them I was pretty dirty!! so eventually I just let them out free range. then when the weather started getting cooler we made them a nice clean coop in the upstairs of our barn. Just about a week or so ago we found a long white round worm in one of the eggs... ( very disgusting) We are trying to decide if its worth spending the money/hasel to worm them (cuz they are already old birds) or if we should just get rid of them and get new birds in the spring. And if we do get new birds what do we do to ensure they dont get worms??

If you do a search on BYC you will find a lot of information about worming your birds. Castportpony is very knowledgeable on medical stuff so advice from her is good. Make sure any advice you plan to use comes first from someone with experience. You stated that the birds are old. Some breeds will lay longer than others and all lay better when they are healthy and parasite free. Worms just come with the territory. There are some ways to minimize the impact of them.

Good luck with the information search. :)If you don't find all the answers you need, try posting on the emergency and diseases forum.

G’Day from down under D SCHWARTZ 26
frow.gif
Welcome to BYC!

To worm or not to worm? That question can open a can of worms
wink.png

In the end it does come down to a personal decision but this thread might be helpful in that it has input from those who do worm and why and those who do not worm and why, plus some prevention and management techniques:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1136000/topic-of-the-week-deworming-chickens

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom