IM A NEWBIE

Blueoceannana

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Bixby, Oklahoma
Hello everyone!!!
Im a newbie and i am interested in getting some chicken here shortly and im so glad i have found this forum
1f603.png
I cant wait to meet new ppl and friends. Just a short bio about me, im 52 yrs young but i feel like im still in my forties :D most of the time anyways. I have 3 grown childeren 2 boys and 1 stepdaughter, i am a Nana to 2 beautiful grandduaghters, one we are raising and im a mommy to a fur son (shipoo) Boo and of course im a wife
1f603.png
. I have always loved chickens and have had a few of them but it has been years and now im ready to have some more. I live in a housing addition with houses pretty far apart and we sit on about an acre so i thought it be time Nana gets some chicks
1f495.png
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
1f44f.png
. So here next week ill be on the hunter for my new babies
1f61c.png
1f600.png
. Well i guess i need to quit babbling now and cut this short lol. Anyhow ppl im glad to be here and thanks for inviting me
1f60a.png

Big hugs to all Angie
1f603.png

Thank you so much and yes i am excited. My question is how do i find out what the best chickens would be for me, i want them for pets and layers so any help and suggestions would be awesome!!! And thanks :)

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Picking out the breeds is the fun part! Here are a couple of links to some nice chicken breed comparison charts you might like http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html and http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf when you have narrowed down your choices, don't forget to check the BYC Reviews section for member reviews on the different breeds. www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Silkies and Cochins are probably the two most popular breeds for pets for children, they are not very good egg layers but are very friendly... Silkies are somewhat special needs and may need to be kept separate from regular chickens, so keep that in mind if you get some. So far as egg layer breeds go, for egg numbers alone, the Commercial White Leghorns for white eggs and the Red Sex Links (Golden Comet, Red Stars, ISA Browns etc) for brown eggs are probably the most popular layers around... you can't beat those for production. If you want breeds that don't lay quite as well in the short term but will lay for a longer time, Orpingtons (lots of people really like these, great pets though broody),Australorps, Plymouth Rocks, Sussex, Delaware and Wyandottes are some other popular breeds that are usually friendly and pretty easy to get along with, they all lay different shades of brown eggs. The Easter Egger, often sold as Ameraucana by hatcheries, are a fun breed because they usually lay green/blue eggs, kids tend to find those really neat, and they tend to be very nice birds, and then there are the Welsummer and Marans for dark brown eggs, and Ancona or Minorca for white eggs.
A lot of people like an egg basket with a lot of colors of eggs, so you might consider a flock with different breeds, usually chickens that are raised together will get along together if they are the same general type.
You might also like to check out your state/country thread to see what people in your area have that they are happy with.

images

Welcome to BYC!

You DO sound EGG-cited!! Kelsie has really left you with some great advice and the links! I am partial to the Orpingtons breeds...the Buff Orpingtons and the Black Australorps. Very docile birds, kid friendly and great layers too. Very hardy over all. My birds follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies or a soft lap to sit on.

Good luck with this new adventure you are on! Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

If you are on a phone or Ipad, I believe you need to download a BYC app, although I am not 100% sure. I do know that attaching a pic is different with pc's and mobiles.

Here is the link to our mobile section and I believe you can download an app here....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16183/mobile-feedback

but if you are on your pc, it is very easy. Simply, and while you are in the reply box here, click on that little icon that looks like a scene. (2 to the left of the smile face above the box here) it says "Insert Image" and it will lead you to your pc. You can browse your pics and submit them from there.

I believe a mobile is different, but maybe not. Not sure! :)

Back
Top Bottom