I'm about to give up.... NOT ANY MORE!!! Update on Page 3!!

Quote : Perhaps the combination of moving and adjusting to a new coop and adjusting to new bird friends combined with less daylight hours has created your situation

BINGO .... Stressing hens in any kind of way will stop or delay laying .

I can comiserate with you. I too have tons of hens that are not laying yet and I tell them every day that freeloading is not in my game plan
wink.png
Seem to fall upon deaf ears though LOL Hang in there!

I have not seen any squatting yet. I'll keep hang'n out with them and provide encouragement. Maybe I should hang some posters of hens laying eggs in the coop to help give some ideas. But then again the roo's may spend too much time looking at the posters and forget their hens.
smile.png

If it makes you feel any better, of 10 pullets (several breeds) that I have, hatched May 1 of this year, one started laying in late August and has recently tapered off (no additional light, days are pretty short now), two started laying in Sept/Oct but have stopped again, and the other seven still have pullet combs and don't squat and have apparently never even THOUGHT about roundish brown objects
tongue.png

It's just the way it goes sometimes.

Good luck, hang in there,

Pat

I have two RIR pullets and one roo that hatched in late July. The roo has a beautiful comb and wattles but the pullets still have small pink combs and have'nt even considering laying yet. I have had them all on purina layena %16 protein since 8 weeks. Should I be feeding them more protein? Also, my coop is a double decker with a run/roost area below with seperate nest box area above and a ladder for entry. They love to sleep right on the edge of the 1st nest box near the opening but far as I can tell they havent stepped foot towards the rear two. I clean out the nesting box every day but was wondering if i need to keep it closed off to them at night. The only reason I have allowed them to sleep in there is because it's cozier than their roost and it's been pretty cold lately.

lol.... don't give up.

I know exactly how you feel. I went through this when I bought my 4 chickens in September, and they were supposed to be at point of lay.

I waited and waited, and talked and talked and treated them every day.

Finally it was the 20th of November before I got one egg. Now I have 2 laying regularly, and another about to start I think.

I have become such good friends with my girls that the one flies at me every time I open the door to the run and sits on my knee, and I cared so much about them I was really afraid when they started to lay. Just in case they had any problems.

I thought maybe I would have to wait for longer days after Christmas or something but they are doing fine already at the coldest time here,so it shows there is no strict rule here. they will start when they are ready.

good luck to you.

Jena.

g'day guys, I'm a newbie so don't know much apart from i love my girls.
could someone explain what "squatting" is? three of mine are still to lay. 1 of them is way overdue. i keep reading about squatting and want to understand what it is. my girls go funny if i am above them they duck down wings out a bit and hop from one leg to another! i call it their little chicken dance. i always give them a pat when they do it and talk to them. i don't think they are scared of me 'cause they always run to me.

Back
Top Bottom