I'm afraid to put my babies out at night...

dturren

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
My four lovely Wyandotte babies are now six weeks old and fully feathered. I have put them outside every day until sunset and then bring them into the house for the night. They are now ready to stay outside overnight. I, however, am not ready! The coup and run are ready...but not me! I am concerned they might get cold, or scared, and not sleep. Is it true that I must keep them in the coup for two full days? Will they start picking at each other? Can I let them out during the day and then put them in the coup at night? Will that accomplish the same goal...to show them where home is? Any recommendations would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

You can put them out. When it gets near dark, check if they went into coop, if not put them in through the entrance they would take to get there themselves. that should show them, then the next night check again. It took only once for my one month babies to go back in by themselves.

I'm going through the same drama. I put my first chickens ever out two days ago around noon in their new house. They are 7 weeks old and I had left the lights out in their old room (in our house) for a couple of days to get them used to the dark.

They did panic and bunch up the fist two nights in the dark in our house - and knock over the waterer for the first time. After going in a couple of times each night and spreading them out they calmed down and were quiet.

They seem most happy in the new house and I havent noticed any unusual noises at dusk and dark. They are learning to be big girls and doing fine.

Good luck - trust your chickens - they know how to do it!

Back
Top Bottom