I'm an Idiot!!! Anyone know of a good antifungal to use on plants???

Chickapooh23

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Corning OH
OK, I am really dumb. Now that this has been establish I need some advise. I started my pepper plants last month because last year I started them in March and they took forever to germinate and then they were very slow to grow.....

OK this year started them the first week of Feb to get a jump on things, no problem. Well this year I got my seeds from Gurney instead of Walmart and I am not knocking Walmart but WOW my plants are doing great. This is part of the problem.

I started 20 sweet banana pepper seeds in a large plastic container. ALL 20 GERMINATED, great....sort of. 20 seedlings were way too many for the size of the container so I had to move them a week before I had to move the others. I usually put them into stryofoam cups but I didn't have any yet and decided to use what I had which is the part of me being an idiot that became a problem. I put them into dixie cups (like you use in the bathroom) and planned to move them later.

Had hubby pick up cups when he ran out to get something....he only bought 1 pack (men) and so I didn't have enough to move the pepper plants in the starter container +++ the one's in the small cups, so I didn't move them like I planned.

OK, went to the store this morning and picked up more cups and planned to move them. Got everything ready pick-up the first plant and realized that they had started to grow a fuzzy mildew on the bottom.
he.gif
So I kicked myself in the backside and moved the plants. I removed all visiable fungus/mildrew from the soil (it was also growing on the soil inside the cups) and repotted them into the stryofoam. I have no visiable signs on the plants and I didn't see any mildew growing on the cups Sunday, but I think it would be a very good idea to treat plants with an antifungal. What should I use?

I looked on ehow.com and it recommend a solution of baking soda, cornmeal, diluted vinegar and garlic tea. It didn't give directions on how to make this solutions. I wasn't sure if I was to use all of them mixed together of if these were different antifungals that you could use separately. Does anyone else know what to do with these ingredients?????

If they are repotted, they SHOULD be okay.
big_smile.png

If (in coming weeks) they are not okay, then do something about it. You bring to mind my dear DH who finds a plant or two to love too much...
roll.png

If you have any Tea tree oil, you can put a few drops in some water and spray on any fungus and it will kill it. Also at the store they have products with NEEM oil. Very effective and natural. I would crush garlic and maybe steep it in some hot water, like they said garlic tea. Then let it cool and spray on. You could also throw some whole cloves in with the garlic or some cinnamon. Won't smell good but definately will do the trick.
Wishing you success.
fl.gif

You can actually get pepper seeds to sprout WOW. Last year we bought for none of ours did and when we planted them only the hot peppers put out fruit not the sweet. We are in a new house so it was a new garden too hopefully this year we find where they want to grow.

Do not worry about the soil growth too much just watch your watering. That can happen sometimes with certain potting mixes. Nothing to serious.

Quote:
Yes, I have discovered that I have a green thumb. Unfortunately I am stupid also so I kill them after they are growing. I killed like 70 beautiful tomato plants last year because I didn't harden them properly. But then I grew a whole new batch and still had them in the garden by the end of May. I am really getting better at gardening I just make stupid mistakes now and again. So you don't think the mildewy soil will be a problem? I was thinking about trying the garlic tea. The only thing is you are supposed to spray it on the leaves not pour it into the soil. I am afraid it will kill the roots ang then the plant. I don't have any signs of fungus on the leaves. Yeahhhhhh. But I don't want to get it either. I don't water everyday. I actually wait until they need it.

Back
Top Bottom