I'm at a loss...

Technically....your coop/run are about the right size for 6 chickens, so that could be a little bit of your problem. I also think the pine shavings are MUCH easier to work with. You definitely trade some ease of use with the money savings. I suppose you could try sand in the coop itself...I haven't ever tried that, but it would be easy to scoop the poop out(?) More expensive, though, for sure.

Were they eating the eggs before you took out the other nest box? Generally, for 8 chickens, I would have 2 boxes in there...even if they only seem to use one. When they try to cram 2 hens in at once, it's easy for eggs to break.

Do you have roosts? Is it possible to put a poop shelf under the roost in the coop? That saves an amazing amount of work for me, as most of their pooping inside is done while they roost.

Good luck with whatever you try! You definitely want it to be something you can enjoy!

Quote:
We were originally going to get only 6 chickens, but hubby picked up an extra 2 in case of loss in the early days. All 8 survived and flourished.

The egg eating began while there were still 2 nest boxes. I had also heard that 2 boxes were necessary for 8 chickens. I'll put the other back in. They don't eat eggs every day... one every few days. I've been trying to get out there every few hours to collect eggs so that they're not in the coop for too long.

I do have roosts. We have three 2x4s in there, for a total of about 8-9 feet. I had read to allow for 1ft/chicken. What is a poop shelf? How do I put one in?

I found it harder to keep my chicken tractor clean than I do my stationary pen. I have between 5 and 7 chickens.

I use shavings/sawdust. I get most of it free (check any palce that works with wood products, they don't mind giving it away). You may also want to build a lip around the pop door. If you make a frame out of something like a 1"x2"doard, it may help keep the litter in the coop. I only have to cange mine once a week or so as they spend most of their time outside. My nesting boxes have a three inch lip in the front which keeps the litter in the nesting boxes when they make their nests to lay their eggs. I hope this helps! Just be sure your shavings aren't from pressure treated wood.

Ky......a poop shelf is anything you can put under the roost to catch the droppings. Some folks build a shelf with some sort of tray, other just put a removeable tray of sorts on the bedding under the roost. They do release quite a bit overnight. With any kind of a removeable tray it's all contained in one area for cleaning.

I would either keep all 8 hens and switch to sand on the floor of the coop, or sell 2 hens and switch to pine shavings. The straw is compost gold to a gardener once it gets pooped on, but with you having limited time out there daily, more work and hassle than it's worth. Unless you sold like 4 hens.

With the sand inside, you can get a bucket and a kitty litter scoop, spend 3 minutes a day grabbing the poo, and have far less waste and no need to spend the time adding fresh bedding. You would need about 5 bags for inside the coop, any extra just throw it in the run. If they kick some out into the run, you wouldn't even notice it. It won't stand out like yellow straw does. Super easy to clean and hardly any waste.

Pine shavings, it doesn't sift as easily as the sand does, so there is some bedding waste. But it's far easier to deal with than straw, and on days you're in a hurry, just throw more in and wait until you have the time for a clean-out. Just grab the obvious poo and be done with it.

We're getting ready to switch to sand indoors too, after adding it to the run. It's SO EASY. I rake the run, everything bulky gets into a pile. Scoop it out, done. Whole run clean and fresh and ready for dust bathing. You can also sprinkle Sevin dust in it and they'll dust themselves for bugs, and it prevents bugs from living in the sand.

One big chicken litter box. You never have to empty the whole thing, and rarely have to add more to it. Pine shavings and straw.. you have to buy it over and over. Sand, buy it once and you're good to go for months or more.

The poo boards... basically take an 8x10 board and install it horizontally below the roost, just about 4-5 inches below, and they poop on that. You can paint it or cover with something for easier cleaning. It keeps the poo where you can grab the over night waste quickly before it hits the ground. Or if you wanted something fancy, make a wooden frame to hold removable trays, so you can pull them out, dump, clean, and put back. However you want to do it, but it makes life easier.

Back
Top Bottom