I'm at a loss.....

plb91780

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
Hi all. Started our chicken journey in June with 4 6 month old BCM's. They were with a rooster, and an aggressive one at that so when we got them they looked terrible. We thought their feathers would grow back eventually but 3 months later they look worse. I tried chicken aprons for a month and nothing grew under them. They had bare spots on their backs, and lots of missing feathers in their wings.

Now like I said no improvement at all. And now one looks worse. All her feathers are missing from the shafts. I'm new to this, so does this look lik pecking or molting? I'm guessing when they molt the whole feather comes out so this is probably pecking but what t make sure. The first picture is the one I'm most newly concerned with. The pictures following show the other marans who looked terrible from the get go. Help!

Is the rooster still with them? That doesn't look that bad, nor does it look like molting and may be about a year early for Marans to molt.
If you only have 3 pullets and one cockerel then that is the problem. It needs to be closer to a 1:10 ratio.
They probably won't grow those feathers back till they molt.

No. I have no rooster, just 4 hens. The rooster was with them when we bought them but they have been rooster free for 3 months.

I don't see them picking at all, ever, but did see a drop of blood on their roost this morning. Once they come in for the night I'll be able to look and see who its from hopefully.

I had to separate my rooster from my hens because he was too aggressive and I had hens whose wings looks much, much worse.

Over the last six months the worst looking Rhode Island Red has completely regrown her feathers, while an easter egger still has an almost completely bare back so it seems like some chickens will grow back feathers faster than others, and I think some won't start to re-grow until they molt.

I also switched them to the 'feather fixer' food which is higher in protein to help them grow new feathers - it did seem to help.

I wouldn't bother with the hen saddles if they are no longer exposed to the rooster, unless sunburn is an issue or the other hens are pecking them.

Don't worry over it too much - its just going to take some time - looks like you're doing everything you can.

I had cannibalistic birds that didn't start picking until they went to roost at night. I'd suggest a higher protein feed or a protein supplement like meat, fish or fishmeal for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom